San Jacinto WA Walkabout....6-13-15

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Decided to day a drive out to San J this morning......To say it's lush & green would be an understatement!!!

Tom and his crew always do a great job, but this spring with obvious spring irrigations, the area has never looked ny better with tons of swamp timothy and alkalai bulrush.....With this great habitat, I saw signs of nesting ducks, mallards, gadwalls, greenwings, cinnamons, summer phase ruddys, and my beloved spoonies....... :-*

With both our wildlife areas looking so great and good reports coming out of Canada, this should be an outstanding season for us guys down here in SoCal...... 8)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    467.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    720.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    672.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    558.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    675.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    702.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    600 KB · Views: 32
I was going to do the same with the wife and kid this morning too but the wife wasn't up for it. I would have run into you. Thanks for the photos. I heard SJ will be hurting for water more than usual this year. I think Jim Matthews wrote an article about it, but I can't recall. Hopefully it isn't true. Tom sure does a great job managing that place!

I had a long conversation with Scott Sewell last week......Absolutely, no problem with water......Should've taken pictures of the water coming out of hoses just right of Marsh A.

The issue is more about water San J didn't use.....My numbers will be wrong, but you'll get the idea.....They were allotted 40,000 acre feet......They've been using 25,000......I think the issue was they (water dist.) want that difference. Probably the reason, so much water was seen on the area.....Use it or lose it.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    565.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    639.3 KB · Views: 30
Yeah went a few weeks back and saw the same. Tons of ducks. Looks great out there. Can't wait for this season.

Thanks for the update and pictures. Ive been wanting to get out and walk the duck area. ive hunted dove on the upland area but never walked the duck area. im hoping its a good year to get back into duck hunting and blind hunting in so cal. Ive only pond jump shot ducks before up north.

any word on when san j might have a work day id love to give back as well as put my teenagers to work helping out.

Historically, the blind building day is near the end of Aug (20th last year)........It really is a lot of fun and it gives you a great perspective on what the area looks like before charging in at dark-thirty on the opener......Each blind has little particulars that will help you get more quality shots....... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_8572.JPG
    IMG_8572.JPG
    539.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8574.JPG
    IMG_8574.JPG
    603.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8577.JPG
    IMG_8577.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 25
I would highly recommend SJ For a first timer's place. During check-in Tom will guide you to which blind to chose and will give you a map and will show you exactly where to park and how to walk to your blind. He'll even give you pointers on how to shoot it too. Best run refuge around.

GSPman said:
any word on when san j might have a work day id love to give back as well as put my teenagers to work helping out.

Dates are 8/15 and 9/26...

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,8089.0.html

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu