Saum coal

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
Hey there fellas running a Saum in a short action with magazines. What’s the longest COAL you are capable of running?

If you are using an AI mag with no binder plate you can get a COAL of 2.985"

The 170 Berger is 1.49" long. A long COAL is just part of deal...

I get it. I just want to understand more. I am using AI mags in my Tikka build for the 280AI 175 Berger EH. Had the same COAL problem that’s why I made the switch. Obviously different beast but AI mags were the answer.

I should rephrase my question Chris what bullets are you using and what COAL do you need to hit the lands? What action? Hunting Rig or Target?

I have a lot of interest in this thread. Also check out these Curtis mags, the one I need hasn’t been in stock for months but they are sweet. Ultra light which makes them ultra expensive. Only a 3 rounder great for hunting. I have concerns with the feed lips being fixed curious if that will cause issues.

I get it. I just want to understand more. I am using AI mags in my Tikka build for the 280AI 175 Berger EH. Had the same COAL problem that’s why I made the switch. Obviously different beast but AI mags were the answer.

I should rephrase my question Chris what bullets are you using and what COAL do you need to hit the lands? What action? Hunting Rig or Target?

I have a lot of interest in this thread. Also check out these Curtis mags, the one I need hasn’t been in stock for months but they are sweet. Ultra light which makes them ultra expensive. Only a 3 rounder great for hunting. I have concerns with the feed lips being fixed curious if that will cause issues.
Well there is a lot to address there. I can’t get a long range 270 out of my mind. I first was thinking a 7LRM necked down to 270... I ended up with a 7rem mag and I am very happy with it. But the 270 still haunts me. So I stumbled on the 270SS and I have a Kelbly short action large bolt face action that could be used. My thoughts are a hunting/target rifle with a 26” tube 1-9 twist and a med/heavy barrel. I have always found that with Berger bullets I need to be “in the lands” for them to shoot the way I want. I want to make sure I have enough room to chase the lands as the throat erodes. I would certainly have to put in a call to Sherman to see what the reamer specs are like.

That 270 Berger EOL 170g is a pretty wicked bullet. The standard 150g VLD seem pretty reasonable around 1.25” long probably wouldn’t give you to much coal trouble.

I like the idea of building a rig specifically for an extreme outer limits bullet. John knows more than me but I think you have to throat the chamber for those bullets.

The AI mag will give you the ability to have a few more rounds in the gun to which is always nice when things go western.

I talked to Berger a few weeks back and they reccomend starting close to the lands like you are saying that way as it erodes you are still good to go. He said they always start 10-15k off.

I like different stuff, I am excited to see what you come up with.

Not sure if this helps, took a few photos of my 6.5 saum rounds loaded with 140gr berger hybrids. You can see how deep you need to seat them. Anything more than 140 and you are way back in the case. This was. 030th off the lands. Chamber cut with the 081 throat gap 4s Reamer. You can chase the lands all day as you can see
20200322_170639.jpg
Here is one in a long action ai mag
20200322_170744.jpg
They do not feed well at all the nose dives and they get hung up

So the old rig was a 6.5rsaum chamber. I liked it but never feel in love for what I was doing fclass target competition. To be fair I was new and pushed them hard. I have since changed the barrel over to a 7rsaum to shoot the 184gr burgers. Custom throat to have. . 200th bearing surface in the neck. They are seated way way long and fill a long action mag nice. So far I like it a lot.
20200322_170656.jpg

20200322_170710.jpg

Here are both the 6.5 and 7 so you can see how they sit.
20200322_170609.jpg

Just how accurate is the 7? This was my second relay with the gun. It's not even broke in yet and it shot a 199 8x a few more of them and I'll have my high master rank
Screenshot_20200314-131632_Chrome.jpg

Ps I would say as a general rule Berger hybrids do not want to be in the lands. Vkd's were another story. Not many are shooting the vlds in comp now

Looks like @Aeon is using a standard action. Not sure what action length you were referring to @Chris240. The Shermans SS can be run out of a short action. Below are pics from my 6.5 RSAUM 4S. The bullets are Berger 140 Elite Hunters (best hunting bullet I have ever used) sitting a modest .011" of the lands.

The pic is of an Accurate AI magazine short action (without binder plate) loaded with the bullet mentioned above.

20200322_194754.jpg20200322_195939.jpg

Reactions: TRICER
Not a thing.... Bet the number of critters killed by them is in the millions. You just have to be in bow range to use them

Looks like @Aeon is using a standard action. Not sure what action length you were referring to @Chris240. The Shermans SS can be run out of a short action. Below are pics from my 6.5 RSAUM 4S. The bullets are Berger 140 Elite Hunters (best hunting bullet I have ever used) sitting a modest .011" of the lands.

The pic is of an Accurate AI magazine short action (without binder plate) loaded with the bullet mentioned above.

View attachment 43423View attachment 43424
Good info thank you

Not sure if this helps, took a few photos of my 6.5 saum rounds loaded with 140gr berger hybrids. You can see how deep you need to seat them. Anything more than 140 and you are way back in the case. This was. 030th off the lands. Chamber cut with the 081 throat gap 4s Reamer. You can chase the lands all day as you can see
View attachment 43405
Here is one in a long action ai mag
View attachment 43406
They do not feed well at all the nose dives and they get hung up

So the old rig was a 6.5rsaum chamber. I liked it but never feel in love for what I was doing fclass target competition. To be fair I was new and pushed them hard. I have since changed the barrel over to a 7rsaum to shoot the 184gr burgers. Custom throat to have. . 200th bearing surface in the neck. They are seated way way long and fill a long action mag nice. So far I like it a lot.
View attachment 43407

View attachment 43408

Here are both the 6.5 and 7 so you can see how they sit.
View attachment 43409

Just how accurate is the 7? This was my second relay with the gun. It's not even broke in yet and it shot a 199 8x a few more of them and I'll have my high master rank
View attachment 43410
A lot of good info thanks man

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu