Savage HMR .17.....Deadly!

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Haven't had the little HMR .17 out in awhile.......So, it was off to MCC this morning.......The squeakers were out in full force......Hit 11 in a row before my 1st miss.......Man, I love this shooter....... :-*

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    696.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    909.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    350.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
Nice......but I wouldn't touch them.....damn dogs bring them back if I don't tie them up......Zoe likes to drop them in my chair...eeeerr

Mark,

I wore gloves today......Although, we've never had a problem with holding them before...... ;D

Attachments

• squirrels MCC 5-19-13 017.JPG
    squirrels MCC 5-19-13 017.JPG
    691.7 KB · Views: 48
Tbob said:
Sweet man! What's the range on one of those?

I've lobbed some out there and killed them at a 125 or so......Any wind is not good for this tiny round.....Most deadly at around 75 to inside a 100..... ;D

Good for rabbit head shots too................... ;)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 31
looks like a lot of fun but I cant put myself to picking them up either !

The 17 HMR does a nice job on them. I like to call it surgical removal of the little critters. My CZ loves to mess up their little minds (literally).

SurfNHuntSD said:
Anyone here use the 17 HMR for predators? Just wondering.

This guy didn't feel real well from the little .17 HMR............... ;)

Attachments

• coyote 2-20-12.jpg
    coyote 2-20-12.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 29
Darryl,

I'm not advocating shooting coyotes with a .17.......Far from it.......I was going to shoot squirrels when I saw this guy......He went straight down when I hit him. But, then slowly went about a 100 yds......In that 100 yds, I hit him 3 more times and he still wasn't dead when I found him.

You can become a bit more successful if you shoot the 20 grain game points. I will be killing a big male here shortly with my .17. I will report back results when it goes down.

Being confident to kill predators is also the reason why i went with the 17 hornet over the hmr. The hmr is pretty small in my opinion for dogs and the hornet is to but i didnt buy the hornet for dogs its more for squirrels but if a dog runs by i wont hesitate to shoot. I prefer my 204 ruger for dogs.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu