savage long range out of the box

El Matavenados said:
The thread is titled: "savage long range out of the box"

It would seem that Savage is claiming that they are bringing a rifle to market that has long range accuracy with NO MODS. Short of a GAP or AI or GunWerks or other semi-custom gun, who is marketing a production long range gun? Let's assume for the moment that the standard for a long range rifle is sub-MOA at 100 yds (someone on the internet said that this is the military's standard, so that must be true). Yes, the Remington 700 and its variants have potential, but I don't know of one that's configured for and actually produces sub-MOA groups out of the box (OOTB). So rather than bring guns with LR potential into the mix, let's discuss rifles that can do it OOTB with no mods. Also, if Savage is making claims that their rifles can't back up, let's discuss that, too.

So does Savage produce a rifle accurate enough at long range (800-1000 yds) to be able to hunt ethically with it, OOTB?

yes I would be very Interested about their claims. if it can really do as their post.

I believe it's a good rifle that can shoot sub MOA at 100 yards. But it needs a very good shooter and cartridge to do it at 800. So many more variables.
My 223 and 308 Savages both shoot sub MOA with factory ammo at 100, but 'I' can't do it at 500.

rbduffer said:
I believe it's a good rifle that can shoot sub MOA at 100 yards. But it needs a very good shooter and cartridge to do it at 800. So many more variables.
My 223 and 308 Savages both shoot sub MOA with factory ammo at 100, but 'I' can't do it at 500.

I don't think I have the eye or coordination any more to do sub MOA but I may still have the kill shot.
because of the mileage as we get older.

So far there is no long range out of the box solution coming from the main production rifle companies. The absolute closest thing from a custom gun that you could successfully compete with without making major changes to is the new Ruger Precision. It truly stands out on its own. They are a half minute full feature rifle that is built with quality in mind, not quantity.

As far as hunting, no doubt the Remington Sendero is in a class on it own.

NBK said:
Ghost said:
here is what other folk think about Savage vs Rem

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=87946.0

I read through the posts and struggle with the comparison in relation to serious long range shooting. Below is a factual metric derived from the top 50 F-Class shooters in 2014. There is not even a single Savage or Savage variant being used in serious competition as noted in the data here. In the top 50 all are Remington and or Remington varients. And regarding the Rem Sendero vs. the Savage long range guns, (IMHO) the Sendero is a much better rifle with endless potential.

Disclaimer: I am not nocking Savage Arms. They are decent entry level guns. And folks can certainly use them for long range. But it just isn't a first choice unless you are on a serious budget.

this does not represent F CLASS, this is from the PRS (precision rifle series) which is more like a run and gun style of long range competition. Not to be a jerk just want to clear it up in case people become confused or whatever.

There is nothing diferent about these guns a muzzle break and cheek piece are not going to give u long range accuracy. the savage model 110 fcp and model 12 r will be more suited for a sub moa gun. They at least have a fluted barrel and hs precision stock. I would look at these models more as a long range gun. These also have a faster rifle twist i believe. Still not going to shoot like a remington sendaro. Lol

DEW_0341 said:
NBK said:
Ghost said:

I read through the posts and struggle with the comparison in relation to serious long range shooting. Below is a factual metric derived from the top 50 F-Class shooters in 2014. There is not even a single Savage or Savage variant being used in serious competition as noted in the data here. In the top 50 all are Remington and or Remington varients. And regarding the Rem Sendero vs. the Savage long range guns, (IMHO) the Sendero is a much better rifle with endless potential.

Disclaimer: I am not nocking Savage Arms. They are decent entry level guns. And folks can certainly use them for long range. But it just isn't a first choice unless you are on a serious budget.

this does not represent F CLASS, this is from the PRS (precision rifle series) which is more like a run and gun style of long range competition. Not to be a jerk just want to clear it up in case people become confused or whatever.

You are correct but the semantics are irrelevant to this conversation. It is based on shots ranging from 300 to 1200 yards. Which is relevant and specifically to long range hunting.

Thanks for pointing out the difference...

NBK said:
DEW_0341 said:
NBK said:
Ghost said:

You are correct but the semantics are irrelevant to this conversation. It is based on shots ranging from 300 to 1200 yards. Which is relevant and specifically to long range hunting.

Thanks for pointing out the difference...

and you are correct it does represent the shot yardage well.

recommended twist rates

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifling_twist_rate.htm

Bartlein
http://www.bartleinbarrels.com/calibers.htm

brux
http://www.bruxbarrels.com/gpage.html

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu