Savage/ Steven’s 511 Series A

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
Picked up this 20ga SxS today. Without breaking anything, does anyone have familiarity with disassembling this gun? Do these markings give anyone the indication of age and barrel constrictions?

I can’t find a ton of intel in my online searching. My goal was to have a little restoration project and have a fun gun for quail and dove. See photos below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 21
Near as I can tell, it's a 1951 gun. I had a little trouble with the serial number on your gun. Look up Stevens date code.

Reactions: CLarson757
Near as I can tell, it's a 1951 gun. I had a little trouble with the serial number on your gun. Look up Stevens date code.
Sorry just saw this now for some reason. I appreciate your help. I’ve all but given up finding information on this gun. I ordered replacement stocks and of course they don’t fit even though the description said they would. Plus seller wouldn’t take my return. I really wanted to give this gun an English straight stock just for looks. I’m not sure if a gunsmith would be able to shape the stock I can’t return.

Either way I’ve sanded down the original stocks and have decided not to stain them. I think the gun has a little more to offer now.3169E4BA-7A8B-4280-9C40-C7C10ADE3626.jpegFC88779F-9068-48B7-AC29-E8502D17D04F.jpegD4D950C6-5221-47AE-843B-0400B1916F9D.jpeg100E2E06-E3E0-41A0-9A0A-EB3A63C908C3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ilovesprig
It's a simple inexpensive gun that works, don't sweat it. I have a mid 70's era one in 12 guage that has been a safe queen for the last forty five years . Did not cost me much ($129 bucks at TG&Y) as a teenager and because so I don't get any heartburn from owning it. P.S. you can shave the stock straight if you want. It just takes elbow grease and time. You could also narrow the forend with the same amount of effort if you like.

Reactions: CLarson757
It's a simple inexpensive gun that works, don't sweat it. I have a mid 70's era one in 12 guage that has been a safe queen for the last forty five years . Did not cost me much ($129 bucks at TG&Y) as a teenager and because so I don't get any heartburn from owning it. P.S. you can shave the stock straight if you want. It just takes elbow grease and time. You could also narrow the forend with the same amount of effort if you like.

I was up your way today actually. Scouting around for deer early this morning. Glassed a few doe.

I considered doing those projects if I couldn’t find a replacement that I like. Just watched an old MidwayUSA video of this exact project. I’ll see how it does this season and go from there. However, there is a local CZ Bobwhite SxS 28ga that has everything I want except a price tag :joy:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu