Scouting for deer in the desert but found a nice ram

Doing work in the cove communities of Rancho Mirage, I never got tired of Desert Bighorns wandering thru the properties. A ram or two would have rivaled that one in size. They were beautiful even with the collars.

Reactions: turkeyman 85
I frequent a couple of Mojave Desert pages on Facebook and people are constantly posting pictures of desert bighorns on almost a daily basis. I can probably count the number of deer photos from the desert that people have posted on one hand. I find it strange that desert bighorn are supposed to be so rare yet people are seeing them and photographing them all the time yet the deer in the same area are a rare sight (not saying they're not there, just that they aren't spotted often). Some of these folks who are in the desert areas on a regular basis will even argue with you saying there are no deer out there. I'll have to say though the one in the OP here is a really nice one, don't see many in that class in those numerous pictures I mentioned.

Reactions: turkeyman 85
Juan,

That pic is about as good as it gets....Congrats.....Bighorns are magnificent beasts.

ps....Many years ago I saw a single ram like that in what is now San Felipe W.A.....The biologist told me that a single ram normally means they're on their last days.

Last edited:
Great picture man!! So cool.
That's an awesome ram. I really want to get a chance at one of those one of these days. There is a ram unlimited hunt in Montana I have been thinking about trying sometime. Need to buy a 44 first though, the place is infested with grizzlies I guess.

That's an awesome ram. I really want to get a chance at one of those one of these days. There is a ram unlimited hunt in Montana I have been thinking about trying sometime. Need to buy a 44 first though, the place is infested with grizzlies I guess.

Pretty sure this isn't the unlimited area hunt, but every time I go to Montana, I see bighorns...…;)

.033.JPG020.JPG022.JPG

I know this isn’t a Springbok post, but like Bighorn wouldn’t these fit well within our back country?

Waiting for the day when the first release happens in SD county.

.323190E3-6EB0-4253-8D8B-EE11326714AA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Goyaałé
Woops, I meant pronghorn (Safari club, Dec 2019).
I hope they aren’t just lion feed.View attachment 35679
As long as the cover isn't too thick they should be okay when it comes to lions. There are some areas I see them in around here in the oak brush that seems risky for them, but I assume those groups have adapted.

They sure are fun to hunt and are super great to eat. Our family has been living off antelope for close to a year.

My buddy has been excited for the season and took this pick the other day on the ranch we hunt.
705028b8bd7739b22e6a9e5a86c8fef2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Juan,

That pic is about as good as it gets....Congrats.....Bighorns are magnificent beasts.

ps....Many years ago I saw a single ram like that in what is now San Felipe W.A.....The biologist told me that a single ram normally means they're on their last days.
That’s crazy never knew that about rams. This guy was with a big herd of ews and lambs. But he was ahead of them. I saw a total of about 25 sheep.

I frequent a couple of Mojave Desert pages on Facebook and people are constantly posting pictures of desert bighorns on almost a daily basis. I can probably count the number of deer photos from the desert that people have posted on one hand. I find it strange that desert bighorn are supposed to be so rare yet people are seeing them and photographing them all the time yet the deer in the same area are a rare sight (not saying they're not there, just that they aren't spotted often). Some of these folks who are in the desert areas on a regular basis will even argue with you saying there are no deer out there. I'll have to say though the one in the OP here is a really nice one, don't see many in that class in those numerous pictures I mentioned.
Wish I knew how to post my videos. There is deer out there trust me. And they’re pretty easy to find.

Wish I knew how to post my videos. There is deer out there trust me. And they’re pretty easy to find.
If you have it stored somewhere just copy a link and past it into the post or click on the 3 dots and down arrow next to the emoji icon and the first option on the dropdown is insert media.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu