Scouting tips.

Here in CA one has to stay x amount of yards from water you can't just hunt next to a water source so you need to set up on the trials going in to or coming from the water.

Reactions: 180ls1
Went back out last weekend Sunday and Monday.

Spot #1 on Sunday was a dud. I am sure there are deer there (there was water) but what looked like grass was actually a light colored sage type thing. Very limited sign. It was also much steeper than it looked like on the map. Who would have guessed that? Hah!

Spot #2 was a recent burn that seemed just too burned, maybe in the coming years. It will stay on my list to check in on.

Monday: Went to a spot I killed before but headed in a different direction. I would have thought this spot held a lot more animals but it didn't. Despite being more remote and closer to water. Funny how that works.

I do have another question though. How much do they "migrate/move" when hunting pressure hits? I know they get better at hiding but will they move a mile or more to hide? Will they move into less ideal areas or maybe just go nocturnal? Put another way, should I be scouting spots nearby spots where the deer are now that I think they might slip into or just stick to finding the highest density spots?

Last edited:
Like to see that in writing.
I know its in writing in AZ regarding camping. Never heard the CA law. I think a warden would have to articulate that you are causing hardship to the wildlife by keeping them away from water but I am open to being corrected on it.

Last edited:
Lots of bad info out there...I hate Ca and Az.

Here's the actual law from section 730, Title 14, California Code of Regulations:

730. Camping Near or Occupying Wildlife Watering Places.

(a) Camping/Occupying Defined. For purposes of this Section, camping/occupying is defined as establishing or inhabiting a camp; resting; picnicking; sleeping; parking or inhabiting any motor vehicle or trailer; hunting; or engaging in any other recreational activity for a period of more than thirty (30) minutes at a given location.

(b) Wildlife Watering Places Defined. For purposes of this Section, wildlife watering places are defined as waterholes, springs, seeps and man-made watering devices for wildlife such as guzzlers (self-filling, in-the-ground water storage tanks), horizontal wells and small impoundments of less than one surface acre in size.

(c) Prohibitions.

(1) Camping/Occupying is prohibited within 200 yards of the following:

(A) Any guzzler or horizontal well for wildlife on public land within the State of California.

(B) Any of the wildlife watering places on public land within the boundary of the California Desert Conservation Area as depicted on the Bureau of Land Management maps of “Calif. Federal Public Lands Responsibility,” “Calif. Desert Conservation Area” and the new “Desert District, B.L.M.”

It's limited to the desert conservation areas, guzzlers, and wells.

Not all public land, would make duck hunting pretty tough.

LOL it applies to big game & upland. Ducks are good to go.. That said the odds of getting busted are slim, just like those hunters that put salt licks, corn apples out in front of there deer stands. Most never get caught and some GW's don't care and will look the other way.

LOL it applies to big game & upland. Ducks are good to go.. That said the odds of getting busted are slim, just like those hunters that put salt licks, corn apples out in front of there deer stands. Most never get caught and some GW's don't care and will look the other way.

If it's not illegal it's nothing like baiting, and GWs don't look the other way on baiting in my neck of the woods.

If it's not illegal it's nothing like baiting, and GWs don't look the other way on baiting in my neck of the woods.
I know of a couple of hunters reporting salt licks by stands and the GW for the area was not interested just blow them off. one was an X zone the other was a D zone. Don't ask what zones we don't need more hunters doing it.

Went into another new spot this AM. It has some promise but its tricky/rough to get into. Didn’t see any deer but I *know* they are in there and I don’t think there will be much if any pressure. I did find this which was pretty cool. There were a few others around. Base of an oak grove and creek. I am guessing they would grind acorns. There was also quite a bit of manzenita berries there, I am not sure if those are edible or not.

Attachments

• 9967588E-02A6-4E52-BB4B-8B8A5A87C082.jpeg
    9967588E-02A6-4E52-BB4B-8B8A5A87C082.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu