Scouting too close to deer opener?

HunterBK

Apr 18, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
I wanted to get out in the A zone and check out some new spots, mainly for deer hunting. I'll probably go one of these weekends in June and maybe once more in early-mid July.

As you guys know, the A zone deer season opens in early August. While I'm scouting, I figured I would take my predator call and try for coyotes. If I were to take a shot at a coyote, do you think the noise/activity in the forest would push the deer out and change their habits come opening day?

I'm thinking that if i'm out there making noise in June, which is two months before the opener, that the deer should normalize before opening day. I'm guessing I might screw things up if I were to go out there and make noise in July.

Thoughts? What would you do?

No problem IMO......The deer, if they're in that area are there for a reason.....Water, food, etc.....Remember, this is fawning season (June, July).....So, save a fawn, whack a yote...... ;)

I'm with Steve. The time frame you are talking about gives them plenty of time to re adjust.
Now I wouldn't go shoot there within a few days of the opener.

It won't bother the deer at all. I constantly hunt coyotes in my deer areas. They do not have a concept of what a shot is. Just thunder to them. At Southbay Gun Club yesterday there was a doe between the General purpose range and the trap range and the shots didn't phase her. I was worried she would cut across a hot range. Many a time I've shot trap at P2K with deer grazing on the hillside behind the trap range also.

I was just wondering the same thing. The day you posted this I came across this guy while walking to a spot to call coyotes.

Nothing came in, and I returned there a couple days later to call some more, nothing answered besides a pissed off mama deer snorting a few yards away. I didn't get a pic cause she snuck up on me and I drew by instict, then she bolted

When a doe does that back out she has a fawn near and no need to make it run. Looks like a perfect fawning area for the deer.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu