Scouting - tracks and beds

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
Sorry if this is long...looking for advice.

Two weeks ago I was scouting in the heavy drizzle/light rain. I found a decent buck print that appeared only hours old near a saddle of a ridge. That seemed promising so I went back last sunday (also in light drizzle) and glassed the saddle from grey light until about 8 am. I'm not the world's best glasser, but I didn't see anything. I got up and hiked to the saddle. Found the old print from 2 weeks ago, but there were only 2 new sets of prints (doe and fawn) there.

I followed the doe/fawn tracks along the ridge for about a mile, until the trail ended in another saddle. This one has some blow downs and some standing trees. Most of the brush is low from recent fire. There were deer beds everywhere in this second saddle. And many had poop that I guess was only hours old (swollen, light brown, glossy - though the moisture in the air might have fooled me). I didn't spot a deer highway on the south facing slope coming up to the saddle. The north facing slope had a deep drainage cut out full of green trees and brush, and heads down to a creek bed.

I hiked up one of the adjacent hills tops and found a downwind spot with a commanding view of the whole thing. I am trying to understand these deer's behavior. I GUESS they go up and down the deep cut out on the north facing slope, to the water down below. And I GUESS they were bedded there around sunrise? So my plan was to set up on that hill and glass the beds at sunrise, but I'm looking for advice. Am I on the right track? Do I have a solid plan?

Thanks for reading.

I'd go back before season and glass it all day till well after dark. I was watching deer way up on a ridge and after a few days the were in the bottom. Figure out the patterns. Don't walk to much in there area cause they split but they won't go far.

Matt,

Sounds like you're doing it right to me......Let them do most the moving around.......Around the lake Henshaw area, small bucks were chasing does aggressively.....I think you're on to them...... ;)

You had me at "and found a downwind spot with a commanding view of the whole thing." Jerry Maguire quote

Get there before sunrise on Saturday and be ready.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu