Scouting

G

Goyaałé

Went out scouting yesterday camped out and did some scouting this morning. Didn't see any this trip, but i feel like it was a successful trip. Found some bedding areas, food areas, and water. Did about 3 miles of hiking. Now pictures this time too hot to worry about pictures. It was pretty hot. It worked out like I planned no one was out there. I grew up in Imperial Valley. 90 degrees is a nice cool summer day out there. I actually didn't spend too much time glassing. I have 10x50 binoculars. I feel like I need better. Main focus this trip was looking for stand spots. Took my bow. Lots of coyote tracks there. Hoping one would give me shot. 5000 ft elevation...

.IMG_20180706_231119_792.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@NBK bro am completely all in. I didn't want to sound like a broken record but I take this very serious. I may not succeed this year, but it won't be from lack of Trying. I feel l like I'm on a good path.. I am doing map homework and of course putting my boots on the ground. I love being out there. It's fun to me. Don't get me wrong. It was hot!! Lol but I've been training for days like these. I still think luck has some play in all this. Lol I was talking to my wife about it today. I want to track them. I love the hunt part more than anything. I want to succeed but if I don't I still enjoy everything leading up to the hunt.. Probably go out again in 2 weeks to glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scouting is the key to most successes.....You're doing it right.....Oh, and you'll see the more you go, the LUCKIER you'll get....;)

Reactions: Goyaałé
@NBK " I am" I meant to say. Not "bro". Lol sorry no disrespect intended

Reactions: NBK
Glass Glass Glass! If you want to see deer get on top of a ridge get your Binos on a tri-pod and sit behind them for at least an hour before you move. Work in a grid system pick every Bush and rock apart and then do it again. Glass Glass Glass! Using this method I almost never go anywhere in SD without seeing deer.
@NBK I picked up a doe at least a mile out last weekend looking at me head on. Those 15x56 Swaros are game changers.
@Goyaałé i would take a pair of $200 Binos on a tripod over a pair of $1000 Binos free hand any day. Get a light weight tripod and you will see game with your 10x52. I guarantee there are deer where you are you are either bumping them hiking or glassing over them

Last edited:
Glass Glass Glass! If you want to see deer get on top of a ridge get your Binos on a tri-pod and sit behind them for at least an hour before you move. Work in a grid system pick every Bush and rock apart and then do it again. Glass Glass Glass! Using this method I almost never go anywhere in SD without seeing deer.
@NBK I picked up a doe at least a mile out last weekend looking at me head on. Those 15x56 Swaros are game changers.
@Goyaałé i would take a pair of $200 Binos on a tripod over a pair of $1000 Binos free hand any day. Get a light weight tripod and you will see game with your 10x52. I guarantee there are deer where you are you are either bumping them hiking or flashing over them
Spot on advice. My buck last season I would've easily missed if I had been glassing freehand. I glassed carefully in a grid pattern and, sure enough, there he was, camouflaged in the thickest of brush. It's like playing where's waldo except you're looking for parts of a deer. Even deer that are moving you may miss when glassing freehand because your sight picture is also moving, even slightly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

@Truduct thank you for the advice. I definitely need a tripod. My arms got tired last time I was out there. Lol I went up some ridges last month but the brush was 8ft tall and thick I could see anything. I plan on going in a couple weeks again. Found a spot that looks clear on a ridge

@Truduct thank you for the advice. I definitely need a tripod. My arms got tired last time I was out there. Lol I went up some ridges last month but the brush was 8ft tall and thick I could see anything. I plan on going in a couple weeks again. Found a spot that looks clear on a ridge
with as thick as D16 is a lot of times a big rock or boulder will work as a good spotting location. Only problem is shade.

Reactions: Goyaałé
If you're planning to rifle hunt, you may want to invest in some telescoping shooting sticks. I use the Primos Jim Shockey Trigger Stick tripod and love it. It holds my binos steady for glassing and I can quickly get my rifle setup for a shot if I see something.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu