Scouting

G

Goyaałé

Went out scouting yesterday camped out and did some scouting this morning. Didn't see any this trip, but i feel like it was a successful trip. Found some bedding areas, food areas, and water. Did about 3 miles of hiking. Now pictures this time too hot to worry about pictures. It was pretty hot. It worked out like I planned no one was out there. I grew up in Imperial Valley. 90 degrees is a nice cool summer day out there. I actually didn't spend too much time glassing. I have 10x50 binoculars. I feel like I need better. Main focus this trip was looking for stand spots. Took my bow. Lots of coyote tracks there. Hoping one would give me shot. 5000 ft elevation...

.IMG_20180706_231119_792.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dedication - heading out into this warmer weather. Good for you!

@NBK bro am completely all in. I didn't want to sound like a broken record but I take this very serious. I may not succeed this year, but it won't be from lack of Trying. I feel l like I'm on a good path.. I am doing map homework and of course putting my boots on the ground. I love being out there. It's fun to me. Don't get me wrong. It was hot!! Lol but I've been training for days like these. I still think luck has some play in all this. Lol I was talking to my wife about it today. I want to track them. I love the hunt part more than anything. I want to succeed but if I don't I still enjoy everything leading up to the hunt.. Probably go out again in 2 weeks to glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scouting is the key to most successes.....You're doing it right.....Oh, and you'll see the more you go, the LUCKIER you'll get....;)

@NBK " I am" I meant to say. Not "bro". Lol sorry no disrespect intended

Reactions: NBK
Glass Glass Glass! If you want to see deer get on top of a ridge get your Binos on a tri-pod and sit behind them for at least an hour before you move. Work in a grid system pick every Bush and rock apart and then do it again. Glass Glass Glass! Using this method I almost never go anywhere in SD without seeing deer.
@NBK I picked up a doe at least a mile out last weekend looking at me head on. Those 15x56 Swaros are game changers.
@Goyaałé i would take a pair of $200 Binos on a tripod over a pair of $1000 Binos free hand any day. Get a light weight tripod and you will see game with your 10x52. I guarantee there are deer where you are you are either bumping them hiking or glassing over them

Last edited:
Glass Glass Glass! If you want to see deer get on top of a ridge get your Binos on a tri-pod and sit behind them for at least an hour before you move. Work in a grid system pick every Bush and rock apart and then do it again. Glass Glass Glass! Using this method I almost never go anywhere in SD without seeing deer.
@NBK I picked up a doe at least a mile out last weekend looking at me head on. Those 15x56 Swaros are game changers.
@Goyaałé i would take a pair of $200 Binos on a tripod over a pair of $1000 Binos free hand any day. Get a light weight tripod and you will see game with your 10x52. I guarantee there are deer where you are you are either bumping them hiking or flashing over them
Spot on advice. My buck last season I would've easily missed if I had been glassing freehand. I glassed carefully in a grid pattern and, sure enough, there he was, camouflaged in the thickest of brush. It's like playing where's waldo except you're looking for parts of a deer. Even deer that are moving you may miss when glassing freehand because your sight picture is also moving, even slightly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

@Truduct thank you for the advice. I definitely need a tripod. My arms got tired last time I was out there. Lol I went up some ridges last month but the brush was 8ft tall and thick I could see anything. I plan on going in a couple weeks again. Found a spot that looks clear on a ridge

@Truduct thank you for the advice. I definitely need a tripod. My arms got tired last time I was out there. Lol I went up some ridges last month but the brush was 8ft tall and thick I could see anything. I plan on going in a couple weeks again. Found a spot that looks clear on a ridge
with as thick as D16 is a lot of times a big rock or boulder will work as a good spotting location. Only problem is shade.

If you're planning to rifle hunt, you may want to invest in some telescoping shooting sticks. I use the Primos Jim Shockey Trigger Stick tripod and love it. It holds my binos steady for glassing and I can quickly get my rifle setup for a shot if I see something.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back