Scouting

These are the things on my list for every outing into the boonies: Partner, water, shotgun for small game (or high calibre hand gun), binoculars, extra fuel, some food, good spare tire, shovel and map.

Reactions: Danny Sanchez Jr
Danny,

It really depends on where you're scouting.....Here in San Diego Co., most places have good road access.....So any car, suv, or truck will do....Once you pick an area, your vehicle should have these essentials.....Water, snacks, TP/baby wipes, tarp, good jack, spare, good flash lights, tools, tow rope, duct tape, baling wire, shovel, charger for phone, bug spray, and a change of cloths.

After leaving the vehicle, good boots, wear a belt, walking stick, water, snacks, LED flash light/extra batteries, good backpack, binos/tripod, camera/cell phone, and that TP again.....lol

Sure I left something out, but I think you get the idea.

Last edited:
Don't forget to let next of kin know what area you will be at. Be specific. Have maps to show where you will be. Even thou a cell phone will be out of service 911 still works. Lots of water this time of year. I made that mistake once. Not enough water while hiking. It was not fun.

I'd also get some snake gaiters if you can. And a game camera plus batteries AND memory card... I always spot some interesting sign while scouting and think, dang, this would be a rad spot to hang a camera... so I spend a few minutes hanging the cam perfectly and then realize (A) the batteries are dead and/or (B) memory card is full or at home.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu