Scouting

That last buck is going to need some hands on examination. Have you decided on your deer rifle for this fall yet? feel like you have built one a month lately.

Reactions: NBK
Same bullet I load for 308 and 30-06 great bullet very accurate. Probably screaming out of the WSM bad medicine for game for sure.

Any thoughts on 25-06? I inherited my u clean old Ruger M77 and just picked up My D16 tag, I’m excited to get it dialed in. Grabbed some Barnes, Nosler and Hornady to test groups on.

Any thoughts on 25-06? I inherited my u clean old Ruger M77 and just picked up My D16 tag, I’m excited to get it dialed in. Grabbed some Barnes, Nosler and Hornady to test groups on.
I don’t have any personal experience with that cartridge other than reading about it. Sounds like a cool rifle!

My folks bought me a 25-06 in 1974 when I was 16 years old (Model 700 with a leupold 3-9 on Weaver mounts for a Christmas present (I requested the caliber after much reading about veloicity and hydrostatic shock) along with reloading gear from RCBS. I have shot everything from deer to 300 lb pigs to cow elk using 115 partition Nosler's at 3100 fps plus change and everything I have pointed it at fell over short order. In my opinion it is a great cartridge for the west just make sure you put the bullet where it needs to be and it will do the job. P.S I have only recovered about half the bullets shot as they tend to make full body pass through's on thin skinned animals (elk included). Pigs is where I have recovered them and they always showed full expansion and were found on the far side of the pig under the skin. It is a great deer cartridge IMO.

Reactions: NBK and TRICER
I was going to reply that @Snake Charmer is the man for this question.

I have no experience with the cartridge. I would say it is a great deer size game cartridge. It is on the light end for Elk and bear but could be used if it’s all you have. I like light recoiling cartridges and this fits that bill.

I have been shooting everything with a 6.5 caliber and it does the job the .257 isn’t far off on size and it is moving real fast. As for bullets if you shoot barnes they will hit heavier than they are. I am a believer in Barnes I have seen a lot of animals die with Them. Looks like Barnes has 100g factory ammo Muzzle Velocity 3225 fps. That is a killer combo right there. If you can get it to shoot good in your gun it will do what it was made to do on game.

I've killed a bunch of deer and antelope with one, plus a cow elk and all were bang flops except for one antelope buck and that was because the scope mount came loose without me knowing it. The 25-06 is like the hammer of Thor on So Cal deer, use it with confidence.

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu