SD public land bird

DAFUQ?? I missed this one!! Congrats! We used to hunt them in Hawaii when I was a young hatchet from the trees, spot and stalk..send the dog in to flush at first light and BANG!!
..air shots were the norm back then. Public land is no joke In so cal man..strong work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 180ls1
DAFUQ?? I missed this one!! Congrats! We used to hunt them in Hawaii when I was a young hatchet from the trees, spot and stalk..send the dog in to flush at first light and BANG!!
..air shots were the norm back then. Public land is no joke In so cal man..strong work.
Thats legit! Sounds fun! I love hearing that type of stuff. I call it guerilla warfare.

I never had a mentor so I kinda just figured things out my own way and did my own thing.

Reactions: sportyg
Yes, sure was. On Friday morning, there were two gobblers there. I saw the one fly down from roost, so went back there on Saturday. Was told that someone over there on private owns domestic turkeys. There was only one gobbler on Saturday. I think I was calling a caged bird!!! LOL, joke is on me. Hunted different areas in the same general area for 3 days without luck. Saw three hens and heard a few gobblers on public, but no luck for me. Still trying to learn … but turkey hunting on public is difficult for sure. One thing I have learned, my calling needs a lot of work. I think I just scare the birds away (except for the caged birds, haha).
Unless there is another set of caged tom’s in SoCal, those tom’s are caged by a former judge. I guess he likes putting things in jail.
But those tom’s do seem to get conjugal visits. I’ve seen many hens in the open yard with his Guinness fowl.

Reactions: BubbaEff

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu