SD Quail Counts/Scouting?

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
If I'm not mistaken, quail opens next Sat the 19th right? Anyone had any success in scouting good coveys yet in SD? I've been out a few times to do some informal counts at my usual spots and it seems like this year might not be too good. I hope I'm wrong but the coveys seem thin and harder to find. Maybe it'll get better once the creeks open up again later in season.

Not huge numbers but not horrable. I'll have a few down pretty soon I can't wait. Donald also can't wait

I've seen pretty good numbers (but I'm in SW Riverside Co). 2 of my spots are holding good size coveys and very big males! The coveys seem to be higher in bird counts and more coveys than last year. Probably won't be able to say the same thing on October 20th. Too many people know about the same spots up here. Gotta get out first. Have 2 new prospect locations to try out this year that I've seen quail running around.

SurfNHuntSD said:
Let me know if anyone wants to get a group together in SD to push some birds...

Not on the openning week but after deer season I'll hook up

I am not seeing very good numbers at all this year in my usual travels.
I suspect the fact that the seasonal ponds and creeks haven't filled or flowed in at least two years is having a huge impact.
It also seemed like the fog and marine layer wasn't pushing as far east this spring as it should, meaning less moisture and fewer bugs for the chicks to eat.

There may be birds out there, but I think they will be very localized due to the drought.

We'll find out in 7 days and a wake up...

Gotta debunk my own initial report... went out on the Sat opener and saw 2 good size coveys -- 1 with about a dozen birds and a second with probably 20+. They were pretty skittish even early in the morning though, which made us think there was something else around, possibly a deer or yote... later on I spotted the decent sized forky walking around. Now gonna put the quail hunts on hold until after deer/turkey has gotten underway so I don't spook anyone's hunt...

Terrible opener up in my neck of the woods. Went to my first spot I've been scouting once a week and couldn't find any coveys. Finally got into one but they flushed before I was even 50 yards away. Flew across a ravine and dispersed. Every time I'd get within 50-60 yards, they'd fly off. Not the same behavior they've exhibited in the past couple years on opening day. Normally, they run and regroup and hang around. My new boots still aren't broken in apparently. Had some mega blisters on my heels half way through the morning. Leaving the first spot and there are 2 sheriffs waiting for me at the bottom of the location. The neighbors, 600+ yards away, called saying they saw me walking around with guns (which is impossible because of the location... unless they had a spotting scope and were looking for me). I explained that this tends to happen on opening day since people aren't used to the shooting. Handcuffed and put on the front of the police car. Searched my truck and threw all my stuff out of my hunting pack and backseat of my truck. I had to explain to the officers that it was opening day, my rangefinder was ensuring I was 150 yards out (which I was closer to 600), I new the regs and was on public legal land. Skunked on opening weekend (first time ever for me) but at least I know I don't have any warrants. Getting pretty frustrated right now. Giving coyote a break for a LONG TIME and going to concentrate on Upland.

Camped and hunted a combination of Private and Public land near Campo and had similar bird behavior.
We did find a few covey's, nothing huge this early, but some about 15 birds.
Problem was they flushed so far out and never stopped running once they landed.
Very few late or back flushes either, seemed like they all went at once or held with admirable discipline.
Got down to about 40 at night and cracked 90 during the day, so this didn't help either.
My phone has a pedometer in it, said I walked 8.3 miles on Saturday and just over 10 on Sunday, for 8 birds between two of us.
Neither of us have bird dogs, certainly would have helped.

Yup, same story with me as far as the birds flushing early (approx 40 yds away).. that's why I assumed it was something else walking around early that spooked 'em. Too bad to hear about the jumpy neighbors calling in the sheriffs. Sounds like the anti-hunter crowd is out early this season.

SurfNHuntSD said:
Yup, same story with me as far as the birds flushing early (approx 40 yds away).. that's why I assumed it was something else walking around early that spooked 'em. Too bad to hear about the jumpy neighbors calling in the sheriffs. Sounds like the anti-hunter crowd is out early this season.

I'll talk to the cops every single time if it comes down to it. I'm legally hunting. If the anti's / uninformed want to come up there and try to make me stop, I'll be calling on them... otherwise, it's just a pain to have to repack my bag and truck after a long day of ascending and descending steep terrain. Bet they were sitting in their bedroom looking out the window hoping I'd get arrested and were shocked to see me load up and take off.

We were at another spot and it was more like pheasant hunting than quail. VERY rugged terrain w/ big boulders, thick brush, and steep drops. My buddy and I thought there were no quail and turned out they were sitting in bushes and wouldn't flush unless you kicked them out of it. He got 2. I only saw some from a distance. None flushed for me. 2 spots with activity not indicative of the past few years. Gotta keep on!

8SteelTown said:
I explained that this tends to happen on opening day since people aren't used to the shooting. Handcuffed and put on the front of the police car. Searched my truck and threw all my stuff out of my hunting pack and backseat of my truck.

This happened to my buddy last year on the dove opener. He was hunting local CNF and on his way out a sheriff just happened to be driving by. The sheriff swung around, jumped out, pulled his gun, and demanded my friend drop his shotgun and get on the ground. My friend said the guy then tried to look up his shotgun in the gun registry and he had to tell the guy shotguns are registered.

I wish this kind of thing didn't happen. I guess we've become so "civilized" here people forget what hunting looks like and that it's still legal.

Opening day was a minute success for me.
I know there were plenty of birds at my usual spot but there were already plenty of hunters in that area. I hunted the other side of the road which is full of various cacti and the dog suffered a bit. But the old dog and I prevailed! Wish I would have took pics but too busy with the task at hand. I have a day off Tuesday and plan on hunting behind Arrowhead. Quail and chukar beware!

I went Saturday at dawn to a place that was loaded with birds last year. I arrived first but it was soon loaded with hunters. I didn't see any birds and I didn't hear any shots.

Sunday I hit up another 'historically' good site. Still no birds. I did manage to scare up a rabbit, but then he was full of worms. I got some intel from a friend though; going to try a new spot next chance I get.

These things are more rare than an honest politician, got this guy near Jamul today.
Lot of armed hiking going on this year.

Attachments

• Quail2013.jpg
    Quail2013.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 10
Two more today near Descanso, but it took 2 guys, hunting/hiking 5+ hrs and covering over 8 miles each.
Not a good sign of things to come.
And this is an area that I've done well at before, in fact I closed the season there last year and had good numbers still.

Oh well, better than being at work.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu