SD Quail Counts/Scouting?

At this point, with all the poor reports coming in, I'm torn as to whether or not to continue hunting them every weekend. I don't want to decimate the coveys or stress them. Unless I'm able to find a location where nobody hunts (good luck with that one), it seems like it's inevitable. I try to only take a few out of each covey to preserve the quail community but what do you do when the covey is in the single digits? 1 per covey? At that rate, it's more of a pain in the butt than anything. I know that there are hunters out there that don't even think about these kinds of things, which is one reason quail habitats dry up... Like Estelle Mountain and Quail Valley... used to be teaming with quail, now you're lucky to see 1. Thoughts?

8SteelTown said:
At this point, with all the poor reports coming in, I'm torn as to whether or not to continue hunting them every weekend.

I was thinking the same thing. It seems a couple of very dry years seems to might be taking a toll. If they're having a hard year, they don't need me on top of all their problems. I might give em a break so they can recover their numbers.

I've certainly given it some thought, that's why we've hunted different areas every day.
I'm still feeling things out, are the coveys small because it's still early in the season?
Are the high daytime temps keeping the birds from foraging as much as when it gets colder?
Or are our fears confirmed and the bird numbers are very low, not just down a little bit?

DogPA said:
I've certainly given it some thought, that's why we've hunted different areas every day.
I'm still feeling things out, are the coveys small because it's still early in the season?
Are the high daytime temps keeping the birds from foraging as much as when it gets colder?
Or are our fears confirmed and the bird numbers are very low, not just down a little bit?

Good questions. I think you're right, it's worth further investigation.

I went with a few guys to a place that typically holds record numbers of quail and chukar on opening day and we saw absolutely nothing!

We tried 4 other spots which were miles apart, hiked two to 5 miles in each area and still nothing. The numbers aren't only way down, they are rock bottom at most spots. I've read about a few guys getting into huge coveys of them, but that is a rarity so far. I'm going to try one more spot to see if I spot any and if not I'm going to leave the few I do spot alone until next year. The past few dry years are definitely having an adverse effect on the animal populations in previously heavily populated locations.

I know that in the past few years, I've gotten my limit on opening day every year. The coveys are usually huge at the start of the season and I could walk up to them at 10 feet before they'd flush. You'd be able to walk right behind them and watch them run around. Normally only took me an hour or 2 to hit limit. Throughout the rest of the season, I would only go once a week till the second dove opener. I would normally get close to limit in every spot I went to but wouldn't abuse a spot. After that, I'd only hunt quail if they ran across my path or if I had buddies from out of the area come over to hunt. This year, I scouted every week for a little over a month to see their activity and numbers and all of my spots had huge numbers and sizes. I was the first hunter on opening day to my prime spot. Took me 3 hours to find them, the covey was only like 1/2 of what it was 2 weeks earlier, and only got 1 shot off (flushed at 50-60 yards). Lots of hawks in the area... just wouldn't think they have THAT much impact.

8SteelTown said:
Terrible opener up in my neck of the woods. Went to my first spot I've been scouting once a week and couldn't find any coveys. Finally got into one but they flushed before I was even 50 yards away. Flew across a ravine and dispersed. Every time I'd get within 50-60 yards, they'd fly off. Not the same behavior they've exhibited in the past couple years on opening day. Normally, they run and regroup and hang around. My new boots still aren't broken in apparently. Had some mega blisters on my heels half way through the morning. Leaving the first spot and there are 2 sheriffs waiting for me at the bottom of the location. The neighbors, 600+ yards away, called saying they saw me walking around with guns (which is impossible because of the location... unless they had a spotting scope and were looking for me). I explained that this tends to happen on opening day since people aren't used to the shooting. Handcuffed and put on the front of the police car. Searched my truck and threw all my stuff out of my hunting pack and backseat of my truck. I had to explain to the officers that it was opening day, my rangefinder was ensuring I was 150 yards out (which I was closer to 600), I new the regs and was on public legal land. Skunked on opening weekend (first time ever for me) but at least I know I don't have any warrants. Getting pretty frustrated right now. Giving coyote a break for a LONG TIME and going to concentrate on Upland.

yes as Hunters & second amendment patriots this is going to be some hard times for us. they know the laws. they were simply harassing you.
after all the sandy hook snag foo I kept my shotguns & rifles locked up. I did not even want to give these guy's an excuse.
This definitely unwarranted harassment. so what was the out come?

SurfNHuntSD said:
Let me know if anyone wants to get a group together in SD to push some birds...

SurfNHunt

Count me in for some quail. as soon as the Deer Season is done.
I sent you a PM just in case you do not see this post.

longbowhunter2 said:
8SteelTown said:
yes as Hunters & second amendment patriots this is going to be some hard times for us. they know the laws. they were simply harassing you.
after all the sandy hook snag foo I kept my shotguns & rifles locked up. I did not even want to give these guy's an excuse.
This definitely unwarranted harassment. so what was the out come?

They just asked me to stay out of sight of the houses and that's it. I didn't want to be a jerk and say I could do what I want as long as I abide by the regs. Going back on Saturday to see if the coveys have regrouped.

I think that the last several years of sub-par rainfall have really caught up to the quail population.
There just hasn't been enough rainfall to fill the seasonal waterholes, most of the creeks haven't flowed in several years.
This has to concentrate the birds near what water there is, making it easier for the predators to locate them as well.

That and a small hatch this spring may mean that most of the remaining birds are veterans of a hunting season already.

I really don't want to quit on the season, it's what kept me going all year, but for the good of the birds I may cut way back on my plans.

longbowhunter2 said:
SurfNHuntSD said:
Let me know if anyone wants to get a group together in SD to push some birds...

SurfNHunt

Count me in for some quail. as soon as the Deer Season is done.
I sent you a PM just in case you do not see this post.

Count me in too. I'll roll witchya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu