SD River bull frogs

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
Well I guess this is small game. I lead a JR High group for 6th grade boys at my church every Friday night. I got tired of all the video game talk so this week we ventured into the glorious SD River in search of bull frogs. We ended up with 4 for the night and a bunch a crawfish. Heard quite a few ”this is the best night of my life”. Crazy the things my kids and I take for granite that some kids never get to experience. At first a few were acting like ninies, but by the end they all smelt like a terd and had smiles ear to ear. Great bonding experience definitely blessed to be making men out of these boys.
EA9DA475-4569-4C1A-BE0E-3FF763B980EB.jpeg64D28E0A-22FD-4521-A2BF-C25DEEA05C4D.jpeg
31C128D4-49D0-4B32-B4A1-AA393127D50D.jpeg

Last edited:
Drew,

That is a great night.....I was raised hunting bull frogs.....Although, we used gigs.....Long Beach back in the late 50 & early 60's had ponds and creeks everywhere (same as San Diego when I moved here in 1974).

Something about that stinky water makes it fun.....Oh, and frog legs are great eating.

.frog huntin' 6-19-13 001.JPG

Reactions: TRICER
Taking animals and keeping them as pets messes with the ecosystem.
Good luck with the fungus those like to carry.

Bulldogs are an evasive species in CA and should be reported to DFG. Taking them only spreads them more. They damage ecosystems.

Ps. Hope you have a license.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180720-232238.png
    Screenshot_20180720-232238.png
    620.1 KB · Views: 45
Wow @Sdhunt17 you just don’t get it. Most of these kids have never been anywhere near a bullfrog and tonight they got to get neck deep in them. Thanks for you concern lol.

People have gotten way to soft that’s why so many of these teens and Kids in their 20s are such pansies and cry babies. They spend their whole life playing video games and the only time they view nature is on YouTube. It’s just a freaking frog pretty sure God made bull frogs specifically for little boys to catch. As a kid catching frogs, blue bellies, alligator lizards, gopher snakes, and king snakes were the foundation of my outdoor spirit that I have today. Hunting is dying in America and if I can just ignite that adventurous outdoor spirit in a few kids I will have done my part to save the sport I love. No shame in my game.

Oh and please let the DFG know there are bullfrogs in the SD River I am sure they will be shocked lol.

B12B4A80-B973-4C97-8A66-36DC7DE8EB52.jpeg

Last edited:
Way cool Truduct!

How in the world someone turns this to a negative is beyond me. Government regulation has gone to the brain and made it so we feel we need permission to take kids out to hunt frogs.

I used to take my cousins down to the creek in Flynn Springs to catch frogs and crawdads for pets. Seeing two 5 year old girls neck deep in muck smiling ear to ear instead of playing video games is quite the reward.

Hope you got a permit before any of you took a pee out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TRICER
SDhunt17,

With all due respect.....Bullfrogs have been in California for over a 100 years.....Like so many other species, they were introduced here.....The tree hugger community want everything to be like it was 1000 years ago.....They also don't like introduced crawdads, pheasant, chukar, wild turkeys, largemouth bass, and even rainbow trout to name just a few things that are important to us sportsman.....Like I stated before, I was raised hunting bullfrogs and crawdads.....They were considered a food source for my family.....There was a season and limit on them.....I know ponds were alive with game, including these species 40 years ago.....Now everything is supposed to be native, even though most these species have little value to humans.....Just 3 years ago, ponds in Mesa Grande were poisoned because there were bass and bullfrogs in them.....County parks had taken over the lands.

I love the sound of bull frogs, I love to catch largemouth bass, I used to love catching rainbow trout in our local streams (quit planting because they may eat a Arroyo Toad), I used to love to hunt chukar in our upper deserts (they're now destroying guzzlers), I used to love to hunt pheasant in the Sac Valley (no more planting programs).....I love turkey hunting (can not transplant any longer).

California was truly the Golden State when he came to hunting and fishing.....Make no mistake about this new attitude, they are the same crowd that would ban walking in any forest, desert, outlaw hunting, and fishing (even the ocean has the MLPA now), if they could.

ps....I'm sure Drew teaches the kids great respect for our outdoor heritage.

Drew, great job getting those kids off the couch and into the outdoors. It blows my mind to hear about how kids nowadays would rather sit inside all day glued to the screen rather than be outside. You used to have to drag us back inside in the summertime growing up. Catching frogs in our local creeks was always a favorite.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dang,
I guess this is what an open forum is, everyone has a different opinion. What was a awesome thing to do for some kids turns into breaking some regulations.

So my question is did he break any laws by taking them frogs?

Nowadays we are getting very technical with everything, this is what I think Facebook and the whole interweb is doing to all of us and our kids.

By looking at first pic with kids in water, one could think all kinds of bad things that could go wrong... can they all swim, why aren’t they wearing life jackets, how many adults per kid ratio... and many more. But we forget to look into their faces and see how happy they really are. I guess everything one does is not ready for the web.

Good job on getting them kids out.
Just my random thoughts... carry on.

Looks like a great night teachable moments were thick as the mud I bet. Way to get the kids outside. What I really don’t understand is how this is not considered normal these days I grew up catching frogs in a drainage ditch that I am sure was full of bacteria and other such bugs but I did I not die or get sick. Bottom line is people don’t want blood on their hands when it comes to meat or mentoring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also commend Truduct. Way to take it up a notch. Taking the time and energy to teach young people.
Really cool way to see nature first hand.
This state has to many BS regulations. As Sprig explained it's OK by the state to poison wildlife in ponds. But it's not OK to catch some bull frogs and crawdads.
I also was very lucky to spend my summers fishing hunting as a kid. Catching turtles, fvrogs, crawdads, fish and reptiles. Hunting with a single shot 22 LR. Best of times

Again way to go Truduct. Best

Taking animals and keeping them as pets messes with the ecosystem.
Good luck with the fungus those like to carry.

Bulldogs are an evasive species in CA and should be reported to DFG. Taking them only spreads them more. They damage ecosystems.

Ps. Hope you have a license.
I’m confused and annoyed by your post. If they’re invasive, then how does removing them mess with the ecosystem? Unless the new owners release them in a pond with endangered, native bugs I can’t imagine what harm has been done.

Dude used his own time to mentor a bunch of budding snowflakes and you’re worried about removal of four invasive frogs?

Last edited:
nice job dude!
that water is like hunting your toilet bowl on wed after taco Tuesday! perfect for ducks :)
i want to drag the airboat to someplace we can gig for frogs... sprig where we going

@Sdhunt17 is new and sometimes things are not always as they might seem.

@Truduct has a fishing lic and kids under 16 do not need one... so your hope you have a lic is not warranted. ( do you ask every dove hunter if he has a hunting lic?)

Nothing in the code says you cant take them home. Only rule i find is that once captive you have to kill them, you cant let them go again.
(e) Reptiles or amphibians which have been in captivity, including wild-caught and captively-bred individuals or offspring, shall not be released into the wild without the written approval of the department. #hotoilbath

so now that we fixed that chill out say sorry and maybe ask to go next time :) we are all on the same team

This is freaking awesome!! I have spent a many moon lit nights chasing these elusive creatures lol.. Love to see young people in the outdoors, my hat is off to you Sir!!!

As a father of 4 dughters, it worries me that the boys being raised in cali are growing up more like panzies behind a video game then they are playing outside like boys should my hats of to you truduct. GOD BLESS

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu