Searcher 4 Day 8/7/15-8/11/15

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
As a fisherman and a hunter I have learned that sometimes you just have those days where nothing seems to come together :'( ..... That seemed to be the case for me on this trip, it was a relatively slow trip due to the new bluefin limits but with all my experiences on the searcher the captain always makes it happen.
Day 1:
left fisherman's landing at 11A.M. filled up on some really green sardines in the 4"-6" range. we left the barge at 1 and were fishing by 3.... only one fish was caught for our efforts... a single dorado

Day 2:
woke up on the south west corner of Catalina Island and had bluefin limits by 8 A.M. All my bluefin were hung on the 250G Shimano Flat Fall in Anchovie color. since we had bluefin limits we went back towards the yellowfin tuna zone just off of ocean side. we couldn't find any schools to stick with us and i think we ended the day with 26 yellowfin. I broke off 7 fish and just about lost my mind.

Day 3:
We stayed in the yellowfin zone and it continued to stay slow..... We ended the day with 40 yellowfin int he 15-30lb range and i broke off another 6 fish...... I checked the fluro leader i was using that kept breaking and i realized it was kind of cloudy and felt brittle so I tossed it in the trash. I finally hooked another tuna and landed it but decided to donate it to the boat.

Day 4:
Captain Aaron decided to make a move up to San Clemente Island to look for some yellowtail. Unfortunately all we could find was bluefin boiling everywhere fish from 30-100 lbs blowing up all around and not another boat within 26 miles of us. After being teased by these bluefin we decided to check on the South West corner of San Clemente where we found some meter marks and started a little chum line and next thing you know four hours of wide open yellowtail action and after 126 yellows and 23 happy fisherman we set the bow for San Diego and called it a trip.

No yellowtail come over the rail that weed less then 20 lbs, there were at least ten personal bests caught on this school. I caught my personal best smallest being 22 and my biggest fish was 32
Definitely a stop i will remember forever.

Attachments

• IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
That is amazing. Glad to hear it was a successful trip.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu