Selecting first rifle

Nickrp

Dec 26, 2012
OK, so I am looking to get my first hunting rifle for mainly just our local socal mountains. I want something jack of all trades type, I would like to be able to hunt deer, Elk, bear, boar and the occasional coyote. I basically want one gun that will do them all even if its a bit 'over kill'. I have narrowed it down to 30-06, 7mm and 270. I have shot guns in the past but havent done much rifle shooting. Any suggestions on calibers? positives and negatives of each? I am assuming being that i new i would want a round with a flatter trajectory, correct? any suggestions would help as im planning to purchase soon.

I would look hard at the .308 as it may be the most versatile cartridge in North America. You can shoot moose down to Coyote. With that said, the 7mm Remington Magnum or the .280 Remington would both be amazing choices too.

All of the calibers you mentioned are good ones.

You may want to read this blog entry on the main site. It has good information (if I do say so myself ;D)

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=311:big-game-cartridges-if-you-had-to-pick-one-and-hunt-big-game-what-would-it-be&catid=38:hunting-blog&Itemid=187

Thanks for reply. I will give it a read. I thought about the 308 but some articles I read said the 3006 was a better choice but let me take a look at the article above.

The .308 is a short action cartridge which has many advantages. The .30-06 only holds a very small advantage in velocity. The .308 hands down is more versatile. None-the-less, the old .30-06 Springfield had been serving the U.S for 107 years. Hardly a bad track record - I would say!

Eany meany miny moe...

Stiffer action, stronger firing pin, shorter bolt throw, feeds and extracts more efficiently, lighter rifle and generally a more accurate round due to a shorter powder column...

Would you say the 308s advantages put it ahead of the 7 mag mentioned in above article? Basically only plan to hunt lower 48 and I just don't wanna limit myself.

Both are do all rifle cartridges and both have their advantages. Both are accurate. The 7 Rem Mag shoots flatter and has more energy at all ranges. But you pay a price with recoil and rifle weight. You need a 24" or longer barrel too (due to the amount of powder the big 7 eats). That is why I threw the .280 Remington in the mix.

Both are game hammers no matter...

so it is sounding 308 would be the way to go as it will be decently accurate and will be a lighter setup overall.

I have shot game with both and they are great choices. Let a few more opinions chime in...

308 is a good start. It will take all game that you are after with good shot placement and limited yardage. Ammo is usually easy to find. Practice with cheap ammo then site in and shoot the good stuff for hunting.
Buy the 308 now and next year you will want the 7mag, and a year later you will want one of the 300's. It's a sickness that you are just starting to catch. GOOD LUCK.

I recommend the Bowtech Assassin. Arguably the best bow package out there right now.... ;)

I don't rifle hunt much anymore but a few of my buddies hunt dangerous game with a .308

my only concern is that i will get a gun and want MORE gun...thats why i was considering a 30-06.

The difference between the .308 and 30-06 are minimal if you want more gun than look at 300's. .308 is my choice for everything the that I plan to hunt here. I like the availability of ammo, ease of shooting and accuracy. Also with the right equipment and practice the range of a .308 and be extended greatly. I have seen targets shot at ranges of 1000+ yards. .338 is a favorite of many here on the site. LP that is a .338 in your avatar pic, right?

Nickrp said:
my only concern is that i will get a gun and want MORE gun...thats why i was considering a 30-06.

Then you buy another gun. Simple as that. You can never have too many regardless of what your wife tells you. A .308 will do all you ask of it. You need to be concerned with shot placement vs. more gun is better. A .308 in the vitals and the animal is going down.

what the heck????? can not understand this thread. There is only one caliber and only one gun! come on

AR15 in 5.56

What a great topic. I just went through this, too. I read everything I could find to get some clarity. My buddy showed me a great article that was published in Field and Stream in 2007, I think, covering the best rounds for different situations. The author covered everything from varmints up to big game. In regard to this topic (big game up to and including elk), options include .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, .30-06, .338 Win Mag, 7x57 Mauser, 7mm/08 and the .308). If you want longer range, there is the .300 Weatherby or Win mag, the .270 Win short mag, and the 7mm Weatherby mag. The .308 is great and ammo is available, as has been said. The .30-06 has more punch than the .308, and ammo is just as available. Also, loads of 150gr, 165gr, and 180gr allow additional versatility for different game. I had almost settled on a .300 Win Mag because of the greater range, but the greater versatility of the .30-06 ammo sold me on the latter, even though it lacks the range of the .300 Win Mag. Anyway, this response may put a smile on Aeon's face. There sure are more than two options, as he says.

There is a lot of confusion here. I would worry more about shot placement than caliber. All of the above calibers will smash North American game if used correctly with the right bullets.

I have seen truck loads of elk (literally) go down with various calibers etc. Big heavy flat shooting calibers wound animals just like lighter calibers. Most folks should not be taking long shots anyways. It takes practice and knowledge. Yup, ya' get lucky now and then. But it is just that. I have become more fond of calibers with less recoil as of late and have not noticed any lack of performance regarding the end result!

Just my in field observations...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu