Selecting first rifle

NBK said:
There is a lot of confusion here. I would worry more about shot placement than caliber. All of the above calibers will smash North American game if used correctly with the right bullets.

I have seen truck loads of elk (literally) go down with various calibers etc. Big heavy flat shooting calibers wound animals just like lighter calibers. Most folks should not be taking long shots anyways. It takes practice and knowledge. Yup, ya' get lucky now and then. But it is just that. I have become more fond of calibers with less recoil as of late and have not noticed any lack of performance regarding the end result!

Just my in field observations...

In that case I'll take my 22-250 35gr out ;) ;D

Hand loading levels the playing field when the 308 faces the 30-06 when combined with production modern rifles. The 06 has a larger case capacity which can produce higher velocities, if you shoot over counter ammo than that is pretty much negated. The 308 was conceived to replace the 30-06 because of powder technology advances. Both chamberings are readily available pretty much anywhere, but the 308 is more wide spread at this point because it is a current military standard. Short action, long action yea it's all true the short is more inherently accurate than the long but most folks are not of the skill level that they can discern the difference so I say pick and shoot what works best for you.

Nick, just an added monkey wrench :p take a look at ammo prices also. Just my opinion if you are going to be doing a lot of shooting/hunting may add up. I was looking at a 410 for my boy he's 12 (he is a light weight to put it nicely) but after comparing a box of 410 to a box of 12 gauge i told him put on some weight and start do some lifting at school. In the LONG RUN it makes more sense.

id go with a 270, 260, or just go ballz out and buy a 300winmag, u will never need another gun again. U can buy another, but not all people have the money to buy a bunch of guns. OH, make sure u go to Fine Firearms in La Mesa 8)

outdoordave said:
Nick, just an added monkey wrench :p take a look at ammo prices also. Just my opinion if you are going to be doing a lot of shooting/hunting may add up. I was looking at a 410 for my boy he's 12 (he is a light weight to put it nicely) but after comparing a box of 410 to a box of 12 gauge i told him put on some weight and start do some lifting at school. In the LONG RUN it makes more sense.

12 & 20 gauge are the same price for the most part. You can ruin a kids shooting ability with recoil so be careful... :eek:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu