September Elk Bow Hunt

Herson

Jun 10, 2020
Well. I may have the possibility of getting a first season archery NM unit 10 elk tag. I bought a bow 3 weeks ago and have been shooting it like crazy... This is my first bow and elk hunt and was wondering what Broadheads do you guys run. Im leaning more towards a fixed broadhead but open to any suggestions... Anyone use Havalon broad heads for elk?

Aim for the big tan spot at let er rip!! I like a muzzy for fixed..or a zwickey or a bear ( with or with out bleeders) for a solid..

Reactions: Herson
Aim for the big tan spot at let er rip!! I like a muzzy for fixed..or a zwickey or a bear ( with or with out bleeders) for a solid..

Appreciate it. 100 grain or 125? Pulling 60 lbs currently… trying to get it up to 65.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been 125 for me since 1985...but shoot what flys best out of your bow...be the arrow dude!!

Go spend some money and time at the archery shop....

You can't learn all this online. You need to match your arrows and broadheads. Both fixed and expandable heads work. At this point what gr is not as important as it matching your arrow. The shop will set you up and help you tune it.

Short time frame will cost you but it's worth the cost and time to let the shop get you mechanically sound.

I'm like hatchet, 125gr but it's only because I never change my setup.

125 usually is stronger then 100 because they have more material to work with. I like muzzy trocar heads as they tune incredibly easy in everything i've used them in.

Well. I may have the possibility of getting a first season archery NM unit 10 elk tag. I bought a bow 3 weeks ago and have been shooting it like crazy... This is my first bow and elk hunt and was wondering what Broadheads do you guys run. Im leaning more towards a fixed broadhead but open to any suggestions... Anyone use Havalon broad heads for elk?
Havalon makes broadheads? Ed F

Havalon makes broadheads? Ed F

If I had to guess I would assume he is talking about the knives.

The Havalon will work but its a little lite for elk IMO. I use the outdoor edge and it works great. That would be my pick. Although, if I had the Havalon I would certainly use it.

The QAD Exodus heads are pretty sweet. They fly great and are pretty tough. Whatever you do, practice with your broad heads on and make sure your bow is tuned well. Good luck!

For me on my Elk in Wyoming Grimm Reaper pro 3 blade Hades 100gr and Muzzy Trocar.... For Whitetail ,Muleys and Antilope...Rage Titanium Hypodermic.... All have done it for me... Good luck and Getter done..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu