shooting gong

TJD123

Jun 3, 2013
Looking to make a gong for long range practice. Any idea what thickness steel I need? Needs to be able to handle 30 cal

also suggestions on where to get the steel in the socal area would be appreciated!

Industrial metal supply. They have gongs there they make from excess and metal supplies if you choose to do your own.

eBay ar500 plate free shipping on a lot of them. Probably a lot cheaper than industrial metal supply. 3/8 is plenty for all calibers if you get ar500. Regular mild steel you need 1”+

Reactions: Lenny
All you need now is white paint and you are good to go!

TJ,

How big do you want?....Wal-Mart sells 10"x1/2" for around $40.00....Lots of options on their site...I have the 10" and it has been fine for the 6.5 CM.............. :joy:
My Walmart 10” gong has taken well over 1000 .308 rounds and still looks damn near brand new. Those things are bitchin for the price

I have been thinking about making one of these. Im thinking about using an old plow disc. Its super HARDENED steel but not super thick . Im thinking it should work ? What do ya think ? Should make a nice sound...

Po

I have been thinking about making one of these. Im thinking about using an old plow disc. Its super HARDENED steel but not super thick . Im thinking it should work ? What do ya think ? Should make a nice sound...

Po

Save the plow disc and make an outdoor wok out of it. They work bitchen for that. Then get a piece of AR500 for shooting. You will thank me on both accounts!

Reactions: Podunk
Save the plow disc and make an outdoor wok out of it. They work bitchen for that. Then get a piece of AR500 for shooting. You will thank me on both accounts!
Good response . Its funny that you mentioned a Wok. Here is a Wok that I made years ago from the plow disc that I thought about making the Gong from . I built the base, which sits in the campfire coals. The larger disc is the actual Wok. A smaller disc for a steaming lid. The welding slag hammer handle, takes the lid on and off . It works great . I just haven't used it for years as you can tell. They work great ..it would just need to be "seasoned" again to cook with it again. I have made a few impressive meals with it . It was helpful to have a fire pit in my yard. ; ) ..... now I have to decide .....make a Gong ? Or Leave it a Wok ......... sighh......

Attachments

• Wok 1.jpeg
    Wok 1.jpeg
    799.3 KB · Views: 6
  • wok 2.jpeg
    wok 2.jpeg
    366.6 KB · Views: 6
Good response . Its funny that you mentioned a Wok. Here is a Wok that I made years ago from the plow disc that I thought about making the Gong from . I built the base, which sits in the campfire coals. The larger disc is the actual Wok. A smaller disc for a steaming lid. The welding slag hammer handle, takes the lid on and off . It works great . I just haven't used it for years as you can tell. They work great ..it would just need to be "seasoned" again to cook with it again. I have made a few impressive meals with it . It was helpful to have a fire pit in my yard. ; ) ..... now I have to decide .....make a Gong ? Or Leave it a Wok ......... sighh......
I was going to put a Gong at the local shooting range which does not have one . About as far as I can go there is 200 yds which is fine for me.

Po

I can tell you 1/2" mild steel and a .270 is a bad combination, even at 400yds. I was amazed after emptying magazines of 9mm at close range and not seeing a scratch.

3/8 is ideal but extremely heavy. I like to use 1/4 or 5/16 and just keep them outside of @400 yards and they are fine. I actually have a spare 24” plate laying around somewhere

most metal besides cutting edge steel is not hard enough to shoot at with out denting all to shit. AR500 is hard stuff and can take a beating. I have been shooting at scrap metal since i was a kid and it works fine out past 500 yards inside and the big stuff will punch or bore holes :)

just order AR500 plate and be done with it :)

caution do not shoot ar500 up close with the plate flat. shit will come back to find you and poke holes in you. angle the plate down so shit goes to the ground and not back at you

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu