shooting stick or bi-pod??

M_juttner

Nov 20, 2012
I was just wondering what everyone uses for their hunting rifles I have used bi-pod in the past but have missed shooting opportunities with them. Now I just use my backpack for the most part, I was thinking of buying a shooting stick before opening weekend but I don't like to carry unnecessary gear, any input guys

I have a light weight one I got off cabelas a few years ago, it extends from like 16" to 48" so it fits pretty well in my pack.
Sometimes i use it sometimes not, just depends on the situation I'm in..

For years I have been using a bi pod. There have been times I would like to get more elevated than the bi pod allows. For the most part it works for the places I hunt. So guess it depends on the terrain that your hunting. If you're in taller brush or grass better go with the sticks.

It's funny you posted this I'm at home looking at my shooting sticks my AR and a bipod. For the elevation I need for coyote hunting in sticking to my sticks.

Put a bi-pod on my Mod. 70........Took it off.......I've shot 90% of my deer off hand and it just didn't seem right having it on.......With that said, I try to get close to the animals. 90% of my deer have been shot within 150 yds.

I think I'd go with adjustable sticks, if I had to make a choice.....Like others have said, lots of different situations.....2 cents

TaftHunter said:
I have a light weight one I got off cabelas a few years ago, it extends from like 16" to 48" so it fits pretty well in my pack.
Sometimes i use it sometimes not, just depends on the situation I'm in..

I meant sticks btw

I use my shooting stick mostly for glassing, works great. I jumped one particular buck a while back and threw my shooting stick in the bushes and shot off my knees. Instincts i suppose.

A couple guys i hunt with made their own sticks. One an old piece of wood and the other out of a piece of yucca. They've added notches to it for each buck. Kind of a cool idea

I like the fiberglass tent pole type.....quick easy cheap and light weight and has a few more uses than just a shooting stick

Most of the time I use a tree rock pack Ect.....but I do use them from time to time. Now if I had a rig for just yotes bipod is the way to go for calling.

I was just looking at these this morning and saw some on sale: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/shooting-gear~d~196/

I use bipod sticks not attached to the rifle lighter than a tripod but plenty stable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If there is a way for me to acquire and hold on target using standard offhand position (standing, high or low kneeling, sitting or prone), that is my preference. I carry Trek Poles that extend to 155cm which, if you throw each wrist loop over the other pole, give you a stable bipod. I have to crouch to use them standing, but they are more stable than my offhand standing shot: they worked on a pig at 175 yards in July with GSGS.
But check these out: http://www.primos.com/products/trigger-sticks/jim-shockey-tall-tri-pod/
All the guides at Canyon Rim Ranch used them. They are expensive and a little heavy, but they deploy quickly and they completely stabilize your horizontal movement.

Bonejour said:
If there is a way for me to acquire and hold on target using standard offhand position (standing, high or low kneeling, sitting or prone), that is my preference. I carry Trek Poles that extend to 155cm which, if you throw each wrist loop over the other pole, give you a stable bipod. I have to crouch to use them standing, but they are more stable than my offhand standing shot: they worked on a pig at 175 yards in July with GSGS.
But check these out: http://www.primos.com/products/trigger-sticks/jim-shockey-tall-tri-pod/
All the guides at Canyon Rim Ranch used them. They are expensive and a little heavy, but they deploy quickly and they completely stabilize your horizontal movement.

Checked 4 sites for the primos trigger stick "Tall"
Cabelas $169
Bass Pro Shops

I use a set of sticks use them for glassing mostly ( that tends to take up most of my hunting days) and I try to get in the prone and shoot off my pack if time and situation permit s

Ajsnack said:
I use a set of sticks use them for glassing mostly ( that tends to take up most of my hunting days) and I try to get in the prone and shoot off my pack if time and situation permit s

My sticks will go flat for binos it's a live saver

Attachments

• Johnny.png
    Johnny.png
    434.3 KB · Views: 56
A little late to reply to this but I like my shooting stick mine is very light weigh (a few onces) it folds down to 15 inches it comes with a pouch u can strap onto ur belt and just drop into it.. when needed u take it out and leg go of the nylon tie and it collapses into full full quickly and quietly..

Its pretty cheap some where in the 35 bucks range its called "Primos Pole Cat Steady Stix" it works rather well for me..
as i don't plan to shoot at anything over 250 yards i don't think i will need anything more then this one..
its to be used kneeling or sitting..

Plus when i sit to glass with my binos Since it rubberized at the top, I use it side ways to rest them and it gives me a much steady way to glass it also helps me not get tired as fast..

I actually found a link to it at bass pro shop..

http://www.basspro.com/Primos-Pole-Cat-Steady-Stix/product/1212130857/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=1212130857&kpid=1212130857

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu