Shooting Sticks vs Bipods vs Tripod - For BACKPACK Hunting - What works best? Let's Compare!

I've started using those Kwik Stiks. And while I do like them, they don't have adjustment up-and-down, and if the game moves a bit, or enters the picture from a very different side than you expect (which is often the case) you have to pickup your rifle and the sticks in order to swing over more.

They are basically just shock-corded tent-poles with hardened steel tips at the bottom that pivot at a bolted point near the rubber covered tops. I love that they are light weight... but... since they don't have widened feet coverings... it can often be a pain in the butt to find purchase on the soil where one leg doesn't sink way down into the grass+oak leaves+soft dirt, and it's all off-sided.

The sinking-in... and the limits on ability to pivot are the main factors that have me considering other options.

I originally got the Trigger-Stick Monopod in Tall because the idea was to be walking along slowly for Rabbits, the brush where I go *can* require that you be standing in order to see/aim over it, to snipe at one in the 60-80yds range away.

But what I found when on a sit for predators and tried using that Monopod, is that it requires constant energy expenditure in order to hold the rifle up on that Monopod to be at-the-ready. That creates fatigue, which makes for wiggling when finally trying to make the shot, no bueno.

In watching lots of Predator hunting vids. Seemed like a lot of guys either have an attached Taller Bipod that allowed shooting from seated/kneeling position, or Bipod/Tripod. I've got that Bog Pod Bipod... but it takes too long to adjust leg height, since it's twist-lock (actually screw-forever until it finally starts cinching back up)

The thing that makes me hesitant to get the Trigger Stick Tripod, is the weight and bulk. I really like the adjustability concept, but since I've got to hike in a significant bit usually, the weight shys me away from it. Although I suppose if I'm just going to be using it just for Predators and Squeeks, that might be Ok since for those I don't do over-nighters.

RE: Sling-swivel Bipods - Which are good brands?

If you use trekking poles they work as a good dual purpose tall bi-pod. Just overlap the straps and cross them.

Hmmph... thank you. I think I'll give this idea a test-run next time I'm doing Squeeks. Got these really nice Carbon fiber Trekking Poles that are very light. Might just be the hot ticket.

This what I have. it's all right.
Fully adjusted I can stand a shoot.
Adjust to where I am sitting.
It would have been nice to have
Adjustable head like a pan head.IMG_20190214_133127.jpg

I use the hood of the truck ..seems to work for me.
Why are you getting out of the truck to shoot. Ford extended mirrors work purfect. If you are driver side the dash is a great brass catcher.

Reactions: TheGDog
I use the trekking pole with straps when I don’t lug the manfrotto with grip and hog saddle around
How do ya like that Pistol Grip? Was seriously looking at that in Outdoorsman's the other day. That and Panner looks like it might be easier/quicker than the Micro Pan Head I got.

Horizontal is better than vertical one. Don’t use it for glassing, would rather use a panner. Your hand will cramp from squeezing it to scan during glassing.

I kind of have to give it two years now. Got all the windows replaced and getting whole house painted. Gonna be paying on that for 24mo. Figure during that time, get used to the Micro Pan Head... then.. if the thought of getting the Pistol Grip one still stays in my head. I'll consider it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu