Shooting with your Opposite Hand

Not sure why you don't want to shoot them in your normal shooting position. I'm cross dominate and my shotguns and .270 are LH but I've also shot a ton of rabbits, ground squirrels and coyotes at my place with my son's RH .22. Easy to operate the bolt with your right hand if the gun is on the rest (.22 has a bipod). I think if I buy a new high end rifle I may get RH just because of the available calibers.
I would like to take them hunting eventually, so shooting left and operating the bolt with my right hand wouldn’t work on a hunt.

I would like to take them hunting eventually, so shooting left and operating the bolt with my right hand wouldn’t work on a hunt.
That’s how I do it. Works fine. I actually bought a left bolt action and I don’t like it as much as shooting the right handed rifles

Im starting to practice left hand shooting since the vision in my right eye isn't what it used to be. Left side is still perfect though, trying to find the sight picture feels very awkward.

It works for thousands of hunters including me.
My concern is being able to reload quickly if I’m shooting off hand. When you take your right hand off the stock to operate the bolt while shooting off hand, keeping your rifle raised seems like it would be very difficult.

I am right handed and right eye dominate, but a short while back I couldn't hit the ground with my shotgun when aiming at it. This was a progressive sight problem, it was like a piece of frosty tape over my eye glass lens.
Cataract surgery, wow, what a difference. I went from starting to learn to shoot the off hand side to being able to hit a dove again right handed.
Not quite the same as this thread but close enough I wanted to comment.

Reactions: ilovesprig
My concern is being able to reload quickly if I’m shooting off hand. When you take your right hand off the stock to operate the bolt while shooting off hand, keeping your rifle raised seems like it would be very difficult.

You may want to look into a lever action rifle...Like I mentioned earlier, I was a lefty that switched at a young age...I compensated by shooting a lever action rifle and O/U shotguns.

You may want to look into a lever action rifle...Like I mentioned earlier, I was a lefty that switched at a young age...I compensated by shooting a lever action rifle and O/U shotguns.
I have left handed rifles, I would just like to shoot and hunt with the old rifles we’ve inherited.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu