Shot my first PRS match

punkur67

Apr 12, 2014
I shot my first precision rife competition at Pala shooting range on Sunday. I went out Saturday to get my rifle and gear dialed in. Then Sunday was the big day. PRS match was fun today. I learned how much I suck and some equipmet and shooter issues to address. My glasses fogged up real bad on the first stage because of my stupid mask. I could not see anything the first stage. I stopped wearing them after that stage and things improved. Then I had mag feeding issues on almost all the other stages. I need to tweak my feed lips more to get them to feed correctly. I feel I left a ton on the table due to the mag issues alone. The stage i got the mag feeding smooth on I shot well. There will be improvements next month for sure.

.20200926_111617.jpg

Attachments

• VID_79401019_212721_452.mp4
    6.2 MB
Last edited by a moderator:
Way to get out there. I would like to come an watch a PRS match sometime (after hunting season). What brand magazines do you have?

Way to get out there. I would like to come an watch a PRS match sometime (after hunting season). What brand magazines do you have?
The matches are the 4th Sunday each month at Pala. I went to watch the first time and wrote a list of things to expect and things to buy.
I have MDT AICS mags. I got one shooting good by tweaking the feed lips but the other 2 were still not working properly. They kept jamming the round in to the feed ramp.

The matches are the 4th Sunday each month at Pala. I went to watch the first time and wrote a list of things to expect and things to buy.
I have MDT AICS mags. I got one shooting good by tweaking the feed lips but the other 2 were still not working properly. They kept jamming the round in to the feed ramp.

Get some "Accurate" magazines. They are as good as it gets.

Get some "Accurate" magazines. They are as good as it gets.
What about Accuracy International? That seems to be the go to for most of the guys I talked to. The MDT should work for my .308, I have read the 6mm and 6.5mm can be finicky with the MDTs

don't feel bad, first time i shot pala i got schooled so bad i felt like a newbie....well ok i was one at the prs stuff. i was like... umm so it was 800, 600, 200 or was that 300 and wait where is the 600 yard target, crap that is the 700. so yeah i got spanked but it was fun

i think SMGC is getting back up at the base! hope to get the dasher out soon

don't feel bad, first time i shot pala i got schooled so bad i felt like a newbie....well ok i was one at the prs stuff. i was like... umm so it was 800, 600, 200 or was that 300 and wait where is the 600 yard target, crap that is the 700. so yeah i got spanked but it was fun

i think SMGC is getting back up at the base! hope to get the dasher out soon
I definitely am happy with the experience. I expected to show up and place last. I really wanted to find any equipment flaws and figure out what I need to work on.

Shot my second match today. I got 39th place last month, 21st this month. I'm happy

nice job @punkur67 how do they run their matches. are you shooting off random barricades and other things?

nice job @punkur67 how do they run their matches. are you shooting off random barricades and other things?
Different obstacles and baracades at each stage. We shot 6 stages today.
1) multiple benches 1 round each bench all offhand
2) 5 positions on and under a log
3) tank trap with multiple positions
4) prs baracade wall multiple positions
5) railroad tie wall with port holes and multiple positions
6) prone with multiple targets from 200-1018 yards

Different obstacles and baracades at each stage. We shot 6 stages today.
1) multiple benches 1 round each bench all offhand
2) 5 positions on and under a log
3) tank trap with multiple positions
4) prs baracade wall multiple positions
5) railroad tie wall with port holes and multiple positions
6) prone with multiple targets from 200-1018 yards
very cool..i super want to come out once duck is over :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu