Should have stayed home......

MJB

Nov 20, 2012
San Diego
I have a strip of private that the turkeys roost in surrounded by public land. Normally if nobody shoots on the private they'll continue to roost there all season. So I don't shoot the bottom near the roost ever so the birds are always there. I only take one bird and I'm good to go for the season.
So open morning starts out great Tom's and Jake's and hens all talking in the roost. Fly down they're running their normal routine. I start throwing some calls out and here comes a Jake closer and closer and closer. I finally see his blue head and it's about 7:00ish. Then he all of a sudden ducks back. WTF? 120yds away.
He goes into the bottom, oh well but there's a tom to my far left up another meadow, he's going up the hill to meet up with some hens before they nest in the thick stuff. He's still talking and moving all around, then I hear a putt coming behind us way up the road where the hens come from. WTF?

Now we eat some food take some clothes off repack and make a plan to get in the bottom on the opposite end of the roost tree and wait for that Tom on top or a wondering Jake to leave the girls.
As we walk down the road I see other hunters came into the public after us.....BINGO
So we start glassing and my buddy thinks he sees a deer nope, a bow hunter walking down the road.

The guy tells us he had a tom talking at first light but never came in.......so he ditched his stand and came into my calling the Jake in......ugh!
He also tells us his buddy is on the opposite side in the brush above the meadow......ugh!

Hunting public is one thing but damn!

I hunted ft. Hunter Liggett and always had someone coming into my set up. Ft. boarder lots of private property so most of the Turkey hung there, and when one came on the Ft. into my setup, it was a real bitch have some jack leg ruin all my calling getting bird heading in. Most of the guys who hunted turkey on the Ft. though is was a jump shooting sport.

I hate public land...I'm currently watching the rain come down..I hate the rain too...and hate turkey hunting... ugh...the good thing is I have internet where I'm at so I can blog and also get Netflix and YouTube on my phone...I'm watching the professional turkey guys with all their shit that they take out to hunt said turkeys..it's beyond comical...some of these guys have enough shit hanging off them to go to war with ....and the running after they hammer a bird to get to the poor thing is poor form..but really hillarious..the turkey run... boys are out in the rain ( not the brightest boys) as I sit here and eat and sleep..and blog .they have about 2.5 hours left to stack a few more in the cooler...they better not bring back another stinky hog ..or else.. damn kids..

So it's fine we just need to set up and let the woods calm down and get back after it. Nobody shot at any of the birds they just spoked them, they should be fine later in the day.
We get to the tree we want to set up under, a nice shady spot. We make a little natural blind, put up the deks, lay down & toss a call out or two it's 9:30ish looking good.
Then we get checked wtf?

He said he doesn't like to check hunters while hunting really? you walk 180yds to get to us.....He promised he would not do this again I hope so!

After that we wrapped it up and went home.

Brutal...stick with it dude...it,ll happen..damn turkey.

So it's fine we just need to set up and let the woods calm down and get back after it. Nobody shot at any of the birds they just spoked them, they should be fine later in the day.
We get to the tree we want to set up under, a nice shady spot. We make a little natural blind, put up the deks, lay down & toss a call out or two it's 9:30ish looking good.
Then we get checked wtf?

He said he doesn't like to check hunters while hunting really? you walk 180yds to get to us.....He promised he would not do this again I hope so!

They say that every time they ruin a setup. No more than three times a day. I have had Mt. lions and bobcats ruin my hunt, but wardens are suppose to be smarter.

I hate public land...I'm currently watching the rain come down..I hate the rain too...and hate turkey hunting... ugh...the good thing is I have internet where I'm at so I can blog and also get Netflix and YouTube on my phone...I'm watching the professional turkey guys with all their shit that they take out to hunt said turkeys..it's beyond comical...some of these guys have enough shit hanging off them to go to war with ....and the running after they hammer a bird to get to the poor thing is poor form..but really hillarious..the turkey run... boys are out in the rain ( not the brightest boys) as I sit here and eat and sleep..and blog .they have about 2.5 hours left to stack a few more in the cooler...they better not bring back another stinky hog ..or else.. damn kids..
Smart money is on another pig.

Then we get checked wtf?

WTF!....Apparently, there wasn't enough business on the roads........................ ;)

ps...Had this happen on MCC (private) a number of years ago with 2 boys...Nice guy, but WITW........+:neutral:

• Wow
Reactions: Rocked and Loaded

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu