Single or Double Reed Duck Calls?

Yes the 6 in 1 whistle is the one to get. Doesn’t matter the manufacturer, DC makes a good one also. If you live in SoCal don’t waste your money on a mallard call. If you have to have another call buy a teal call and learn to use it.

Just remember the famous quote by Nash Buckingham...

Is one easier for a new user, single vs double?

I was reading for new callers to use them sparingly when starting out, will usually scare them off rather than call them in until we get it down.

The double reed is easier to use...And like was mentioned, not a lot of mallards in SoCal for the most part...BUT, there are some...So having a double reed call and knowing when to blow it with the right cadence, you can get mallards...Use feeding chuckles or a lonesome hen quack and you won't scare any off...It's guys that go crazy with loud high balls when ducks are approaching that normally scares them...Comeback call (short series of quacks) when they're going away (butts & wing tips) or way in the distance (high ball).

Go to a city park and listen to the birds...Just try to mimic those sounds.

The 6-1 call is the one...A lot of companies make them...You can also use it as a quail locator.

The double reed is easier to use...And like was mentioned, not a lot of mallards in SoCal for the most part...BUT, there are some...So having a double reed call and knowing when to blow it with the right cadence, you can get mallards...Use feeding chuckles or a lonesome hen quack and you won't scare any off...It's guys that go crazy with loud high balls when ducks are approaching that normally scares them...Comeback call (short series of quacks) when they're going away (butts & wing tips) or way in the distance (high ball).

Go to a city park and listen to the birds...Just try to mimic those sounds.

The 6-1 call is the one...A lot of companies make them...You can also use it as a quail locator.
That 6-1 came in handy today, I only used it when it seemed like things died down or after shots were fired and seemed to bring it back to life. I tried to mimic some of the birds I heard but not sure what type of bird I was mimicking. I tried it when there was a duck just out of range and as soon as I did he was out of there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu