Site to get in contact with PL owners?

Drake Dunn

Nov 28, 2016
I was just sitting there laying on my bed watching the sportsman Chanel when it hit me... Everyone is on private land and I've always hunted public land. Is there a site, or a general forum... Anyrhing, to get me in contact with private land owners. If they need help, or simply if they don't mind if people hunt on there land? I'm just curious, never thought about it until now.

Here is how I was always successful on private land. You be a good steward. If there are cows out go to the nearest farm and let them know, then offer to help them corral them. If you see an old farmer out fixin' fence you get off your ace and help them. I've shoveled snow for elderly, fixed mail boxes that other punks broke, and just was an all around good person to them. I didn't do this so I could hunt their land, I did it to be a good person. Hell I even gave them some of my summer sausage from the game I harvested off their land, even sent holiday cards. May not work here, but it works some places.

P.S. - I never pay to hunt land.

Onx maps is as close to a resource as it gets for a list of private land owners.

Development of private land is a life long task and once you have access you keep looking and working for the next place. Private land access inevitably goes away. Some access was easy, some took 20 years to get a key. Some went away a year later and some have lasted. As ducky said if you go about it genuinely want to be friend and help someone the access will come. Just asking hey can I hunt your dirt almost never works.

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
I've been very fortunate over the years getting permission......Rarely, if ever, do I ask folks for permission to hunt on our 1st encounter (Canada excepted)......I almost always have them suggest it too.....Like other have said, walking up in full camo during hunting season isn't the way to get permission.....Off season is the time and use what ever sales skills you have......Don't be pushy, glad hander, or chatty Kathy.

ps......Like I've always said, I'd rather have 40 acres of prime, than 4,000 of public......;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu