SJ 12/28

A-5_Guy

Nov 4, 2014
Escondido
Anybody hunting / sweating SJ tomorrow? I don't have a ressie, but I thought about trying to sweat it since I had to take a month off while on baby watch. Boy #3 showed up last week so I might give it a shot.

Talked to Tom today........Davis Rd. is brutal getting to the check station.......The roads to the blinds are all right.......The average on Saturday under ideal conditions was only 1.0 (& that included ruddies).......There's water in a lot of places around the area, and if you know waterfowl, they find every one of them, especially widgeon (only 3 taken Saturday).

Talked to Tom today........Davis Rd. is brutal getting to the check station.......The roads to the blinds are all right.......The average on Saturday under ideal conditions was only 1.0 (& that included ruddies).......There's water in a lot of places around the area, and if you know waterfowl, they find every one of them, especially widgeon (only 3 taken Saturday).

Yeah, I'm thinking of saving my brownie points for this weekend. I thought about hitting some snipe if I didn't get on.

I'm going to try to make January count as it will be my last month in CA before I get medically retired.

I've got 35" muds on a super duty 4x4. The mud will be no problem. The lack of ducks is my problem.
You are right. Slow and steady wins the race, but you can get humbled pretty quick.

It doesn't matter what vehicle you have at Wister. Sometimes Davis Rd can exhibit similar qualities to Wister mud. Same here driving on snow and ice. Guys with the trucks thinks they can drive in anything... they are the first in the ditch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: A-5_Guy
I was at Wister last year when it rained. Most of the time if you have half a brain you'll be okay. Sometimes, it's just not going to work. It's when people think they're invincible that they get the $800 tow ticket.

If you have a resi then you should go on Saturday. Stay in the middle of the road. There are ducks showing up in recently appearing water holes. At least it is feeling like duck season. It is looking like rain again this weekend.

John

You are right. Slow and steady wins the race, but you can get humbled pretty quick.

It doesn't matter what vehicle you have at Wister. Sometimes Davis Rd can exhibit similar qualities to Wister mud. Same here driving on snow and ice. Guys with the trucks thinks they can drive in anything... they are the first in the ditch.

ive been building off road trucks and comp crawlers for over 20 years Ive rescued dumbasses more times then i can count. Ive been in all kinds of mud all over the country I am in no way one of those guys. im not saying i wont or cant get stuck BUT i more then most know what im doing. It doesnt matter what vehical you have however it does matter what is on your truck lockers front and rear, skinny tires with a big agressive tread not FAT tires, and a heavy truck with plenty of low end power and a light foot. the best way to stay out of trouble is to be smart and not get into it at all.

.... the best way to stay out of trouble is to be smart and not get into it at all.

Good call.

You have a great resume for driving. I am sure you know more than I do and I bet have been humbled a time or two.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu