Snake avoidance training

Jawbreaker

Apr 6, 2023
Hi Guys, my lab is 4 now and I haven't put him through snake training yet but have a few questions for guys that have done this with their dogs.
1- does it really work
2- is it something that should be done annually
3- what is the best method, I am reading that there are a few different methods

Thanks in advance for the help.

Check out my website High on Kennels I have a page on ther that describes how it is done and yes it really works. If you are hunting your dog I would tell you it is a must. Also as I see it there is only one good way to train and that is with live rattlesnakes and shock collars everything else I have seen is just not as effective.

Hi Guys, my lab is 4 now and I haven't put him through snake training yet but have a few questions for guys that have done this with their dogs.
1- does it really work
2- is it something that should be done annually
3- what is the best method, I am reading that there are a few different methods

Thanks in advance for the help.
Yes it works, @Snake Charmer is correct. I’d go through him when needed

I used Fred for Trigger at High on Kennels as well....Knock on wood....No problems with snakes.................. :cool:

Both my labs have been to Fred (Snakecharmer), one 3 times the first 1 lots of interest second one a lot less interest that was 2 years ago hence the third one this year…they could not ven drag her to the snakes ie no interest.

Last year at duck camp we found one at dinner time right under the stairs by where we eat. She would not get anywhere near it. Yes I recommend it and Fred’s method works.

The other lab is a pup and had interest as it was her first time. After the session Fred told my kids she should come back a second time as he was not sure it completely took.

IMG_0056.jpegIMG_0055.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
This was my dogs 3rd year with Fred @High on Kennels. I think she scented the snakes as soon as we got there cause she acted very hesitant as soon as we walked up to sign in (very uncommon for her to act this way). Cheap insurance IMO. Highly recommend Fred.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Thank
Both my labs have been to Fred (Snakecharmer), one 3 times the first 1 lots of interest second one a lot less interest that was 2 years ago hence the third one this year…they could not ven drag her to the snakes ie no interest.

Last year at duck camp we found one at dinner time right under the stairs by where we eat. She would not get anywhere near it. Yes I recommend it and Fred’s method works.

The other lab is a pup and had interest as it was her first time. After the session Fred told my kids she should come back a second time as he was not sure it completely took.

View attachment 62502View attachment 62503
Thanks Ahi much apperciated.

You do what you can to protect your dogs. Rattlesnake vaccine and avoidance training. Why take a chance? All of my Labs have been through the training and have had the vaccine. I am in Valley Center. We have plenty of rattlesnakes up here. I have caught quite a few and shot a few that were just not in a good spot to handle. I have been seeing mainly Southern Pacifics. They are particularly aggressive. You really don’t want to see your Lab get hit by one. Just a shit show of drama and uncertainty until they respond to the anti venom. Which is very pricey.

John

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu