Snake River catfish

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
Well I finally caught my first fish since I moved out to Idaho. I fished the boise river a few times but the water is high and moving fast..still have to learn what works and what doesn't out here. I'd like to learn how to fly fish but getting all the gear foe that isn't cheap. Will have to save up for next year. I went out to the Snake River and fished an area a friend from work told me about. He had some luck with catfish last week so figured I'd give it a try. Drove about 2 hrs to get there and got there in the evening since the days have been hovering around 100° the last 2 weeks. It was a great drive with beautiful scenery. Drove passed some sand dunes to get there as well. Got set up and the wait began..My first bite felt real strong..took my line and it ended up breaking. An hr later my pole went down again and I set the hook and reeled in a 5lb catfish after a bit of a fight. It felt good to land my first fish in a new place. It was my biggest cat I've ever caught. I usually only caught them out of Santee lakes so it was cool to catch a wild catfish out of the Snake River. There are some big sturgeon in that river also..Only fished a couple hrs but besides the catfish we landed a small large mouth who got greedy and went for a chunck of catfish bait. On the drive out my daughter spotted a few mule deer bucks in velvet which was cool to see.

Fried up the catfish for dinner last night.

20220718_163255.jpg
593420942.jpg
273419131.jpg

1646866614.jpg
20220718_193617.jpg

20220720_091725.jpg

Last edited:
There some big bucks In them there mountains along that river..jus sayin...nice cat dude.
Thanks! Definitely took note of where I saw them..pretty sure it was BLM so definitely gonna be poking around there some more..might go back and do some scouting in the AM and more catfishing in the evening! Theu were right off the road so right up your alley!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu