Snakes and Dogs

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
The front page of the website has a cool little deal on snake training dogs. Lungpopper in an earlier post mentioned that he is seeing quite a few snakes up by his place on a regular basis now.

If ya' own a dog, the snake training works and it could save your canine's life. Another preventative measure is to get your dogs inoculated with the anti-snake venom. It works...We have both of our Munsterlanders under go the shots every year. If your dog does get bit, it gives you more time to get the animal to the vet. I have two different friends who have lost their dogs to rattlesnake bites. Its worth going through the process if you put your animal in the field.

John

My wife and I train bird dogs for a living it is absolutley essential that you snake train your dog. If a dog has never been snake trained nine out of ten times the dog that hasnt been trained will walk right up and put their nose on it when it rattles to see what it is. We've trained over 2500 dogs this years to avoid snakes and I'm here to tell you it really works.

Snake Charmer said:
My wife and I train bird dogs for a living it is absolutley essential that you snake train your dog. If a dog has never been snake trained nine out of ten times the dog that hasnt been trained will walk right up and put their nose on it when it rattles to see what it is. We've trained over 2500 dogs this years to avoid snakes and I'm here to tell you it really works.
Can you train a dog to hunt pigs?

Never done it but it wouldnt be much different than training a coon hound, basically we would start with the skin of a dead pig and teach it to track the scent and then transition it to a live one, The big thing would be to get an owner with the right mind set about what could happen to their dog in an encounter with an animal that might possibly kill or wound it. What you cant train is how the dog wil handle the pig once it is cornered, The dog will have to rely on its own instincts and prowess from that point on.

I put my chocolate lab Tiki through the snake training last year and she still got bit. I got very lucky and she survived but it scared my wife and I pretty bad. The guy supposedly will retrain for free if your dog gets bit but so far no reply from him...

Snake charmer, I'm interested in retraining my dog if you have a date coming up. Let me know

Snake Charmer is your Guy! Also consider the rattle snake inoculation as well. It works. I do both. I have Fred and Tracy train and my Vet Dr. Sevier DVM gives them the shots.

We've got clinics starting March 3rd. I'm loading the 2012 calender onto our website this weekend so you can find a clinic close to you. If nothing on the calender is convenient please feel free to give us a call at 760 782 0728 and we'll do a private lesson for you at no extra charge. consult your vet about the inoculations they have become very controversial in the past few years, U.C. Davis no longer endorses the procedure. The reasons being that 1, the inoculations are species specific and 2, some dogs have had bad reactions to the inoculation. who trained your dog? if we did it you are welcome to have your dog retrained for free and evaluated to see if this type of training is going to work on your dog. we see a small percentage of dogs every year that just don't get it ( labs usually do very well with the training)

Couple questions:

How old does a dog need to be prior to snake training?

For a dog slated for hunting & e-collar use, Would you say the dog should already have gone through e-collar conditioning because this will be the form of correction used during the snake training?

Thanks,

Larry

We used Natural Solutions Rattlesnake Avoidance when they had a clinic at Singing Hills animal hospital in Dehesa. We took our dog and my folks and brother and his wife all retrained their dogs a second time. It all seemed good and seemed like my lab took to the training well but 3 months later she got bit.

I said before that we got lucky, and I'll stand by that. The snake bit her through her lip on the left side of her snout and the fangs puntured her gums. Vet said it was a dry bite, thank God, and it was probably because the snakes fangs hit her teeth and hard gums so it backed off. It only cost me $160 and a sleepless night, but she pulled through. I called and emailed the Natural Solution trainer SEVERAL times because he "guarantees" his training, but never heard back, and this was 6 months ago. So I'm dismayed with his training.

I need to get her retrained and I think my family and their dogs are looking for a retraining also, but not with Natural Solutions. LEt me know when you post up your calendar and I'll see about scheduling a date.

Socal rebel-I know all about these guys, they came to one of our clinics with a dog and watched what we did and went and started their own business. to my knowledge they are not even dog trainers. My wife has been snake training for eighteen years now. We do not make guarantee's because it would be wrong to promise someone that their dog will never get bit, however we will retrain any dog that an owner has had a less than satisfactory encounter with a snake. We also tell folks that they should retrain every year to insure that their dog remembers what a rattlesnake is. What I have seen over the years is that most dogs remember the sound of a rattlesnake pretty well but I see a large percentage of dogs that forget what they smell like from year to year (rattlesnakes have a very distinctive odor) Dogs are just like humans some are smarter than others and we see a few dogs every year that just don't get it

Larry. We wont train a dog younger than about five months as dogs go through what are called fear periods when they are very young if you traumatize a dog during one of these periods you can permanently wire the dogs brain in away that makes them fearful and afraid for the rest of their lives.

The vast majority of dogs we train have never had an e-collar on, no it is not necessary for a dog to have previous e-collar experience in order to snake train. when the dog encounters the snake and is stimulated with the collar it associates the stimulation with the snake.

Our first clinic will be on March 3rd here at our kennel in Santa Ysabel We are partnering with the San Diego sporting dog club and they are doing the appointments and reservations if you would like to have your dog trained at this event please contact Joe Artes at 619-933-2322 for an appointment time. If that doesn't work for you check our calender on the website http://highonkennels.com/calendar for other clinics we will doing (the calender should be up in the next few days) or give us a call at 760 782 0728 and we'll do a private lesson for you at no extra charge

Thanks for the info. I have a puppy on the way & definitely want to send him through the training once old enough. Although it is never a sure thing, avoidance training is much cheaper than a vet bill.

Larry

How much do you guys charge per dog Snake Charmer? My folks want to retrain their lab and my brother wants to do the same with his two boxers. I think I have a good little group of dogs that need some retraining in the works, everyone just wants to know how much. Thanks dude.

We are partnering with the San Diego sporting dog club for our March 3rd clinic the cost will be $65 dollars per dog. Joe Artes is doing the registration for this event and he can reached at 619 933 2322

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu