So Cal trout fishing

I always feel the colder weather is trout time , and local lakes that get yearly trout stocks will have a hold over population of trout plus the addition of a few trout plants , that ups the odds of hooking up . With kids I have always found that catching fish is very important so I would want the odds in my favor . Check the fish reports , and the form charts on the lakes , trout plants ! My boat is locked down for Castaic Lake, so I fish there a lot . Trout can be had there all year , and guys fishing off the dam at the launch area catch some very nice holdover trout all year long . Last July while Striper fishing ,I got a 3 pound 23 inch Rainbow , I see larger fish caught as well

Not familiar with OC fishing spots but recently heard about Irvine Park..I believe they stock it with trout. We have a number of places down here in San Diego if you decide to make the drive let me know I can help you out. My daughter caught her first trout last year at lake Jennings.
I’m not opposed to driving 3 hours. Not too much more though, want to keep her interested. She is 8 and excited to go. I really enjoy river fishing over lake fishing but beggars can’t be choosers.

I always feel the colder weather is trout time , and local lakes that get yearly trout stocks will have a hold over population of trout plus the addition of a few trout plants , that ups the odds of hooking up . With kids I have always found that catching fish is very important so I would want the odds in my favor . Check the fish reports , and the form charts on the lakes , trout plants ! My boat is locked down for Castaic Lake, so I fish there a lot . Trout can be had there all year , and guys fishing off the dam at the launch area catch some very nice holdover trout all year long . Last July while Striper fishing ,I got a 3 pound 23 inch Rainbow , I see larger fish caught as well
I’ll have to check it out and see if they have boat rentals. That seems like a the perfect drive time.
I am right there with you on the importance of catching fish, I will check the reports before locking in our destination. Thanks for the suggestion.

I suck at fishing Big Bear Lake for anything, let alone trout. Any pointers Lee? Obviously trolling the center and near the dam is the thing I guess. Taken my kids a few times with nothing to show for it.
View attachment 47621
Jason, I hear between the observatory and Juniper point from shore can be good fishing. Went 2 weeks ago and some parts were frozen over..pretty cool to see.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
@HunterMcHunter
I live in north OC try any of the OC park lakes. Check OCparks.com for stocking schedules for whichever lake is closest to you. All the lakes that are maintained by the county are very clean for a city park. I usually only take within the first week of stocking. CDFW also stocks the same lakes and they are usually offset with county stocks, so you roughly get a stocking every other week and sometimes every week.

Also if you want guaranteed fish where she'll catch one every time she puts the line in the water, try a trout pond. They closed the one in Mt Baldy (I actually miss this place) unfortunately but Yucaipa has one. call ahead to see if its open due to covid. I think you look up oak glen to find it.

Reactions: HunterMcBuckKiller
Also if you want guaranteed fish where she'll catch one every time she puts the line in the water, try a trout pond. They closed the one in Mt Baldy (I actually miss this place) unfortunately but Yucaipa has one. call ahead to see if its open due to covid. I think you look up oak glen to find it.
Lol my father in law used to work at a trout farm in Azusa when he was in high school. Happy Jacks I think it was. He's got some funny stories of that place.

When gets a little warmer and the spawning months...Lake Henshaw is a great place to take kids (caught my 1st fish here in 1954)...A bobber and a piece of crawler, red worm, or meal worm will get them a ton of bites from bluegill...Catfish, bass, and carp can be caught on this same combo as well.

There's also a campground and cabins that can be rented...Lots of things to do and explore.

About a hour and a half from the OC.

.henshaw 5-28-11 009.JPGhenshaw...5-31-13 003.JPG004.JPG

When gets a little warmer and the spawning months...Lake Henshaw is a great place to take kids (caught my 1st fish here in 1954)...A bobber and a piece of crawler, red worm, or meal worm will get them a ton of bites from bluegill...Catfish, bass, and carp can be caught on this same combo as well.

There's also a campground and cabins that can be rented...Lots of things to do and explore.

About a hour and a half from the OC.
Sound like a plan, I might have to take you up on this suggestion.

Reactions: DirtHunter
@HunterMcHunter
I live in north OC try any of the OC park lakes. Check OCparks.com for stocking schedules for whichever lake is closest to you. All the lakes that are maintained by the county are very clean for a city park. I usually only take within the first week of stocking. CDFW also stocks the same lakes and they are usually offset with county stocks, so you roughly get a stocking every other week and sometimes every week.
I looked into this option yesterday, Going to try our luck in Fullerton later today!

Reactions: DirtHunter

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu