So Close Tonight...Too Close last night....10-6-15

good luck steve I hope he didn't go far... as a rookie at archery I got fixed blades for me since I was paranoid that the others wouldn't deploy. bring in the dogs ;)

Yep, Grim Reaper......And when I found it, it had appeared it had not deployed.....As soon as I saw the broadhead, I knew it was going to be a long night.....1st call went to Mark (MJB) & Zoe.....It was decided to back out and we would meet at 6:30 am this morning.....After the call, it was getting pretty dark (deer was hit at 6:05 pm).....It's now after 7:00 pm, and I decided to see, if I could pick up the blood trail. So at least we had a starting point the next morning.....Since it was now totally dark, I found blood quickly.....In fact, it was splattering like crazy.....At this and despite hitting far back, high, and the Grim Reaper not deploying, I thought I may have hit the artery below the spine. Starting following the blood trail and discovered he had run side hill. Then went down hill. Lost the trail a few times, but would pick it back up 20-30 yards away.....In the end, 2 hours later and lots of orange tape. He hadn't gone more than a 100 yds from where I 1st hit him (200 yds in a round about way).

What a relief it is finding game and a great feeling (although, I had full confidence in Mark & Zoe).....This stuff never gets old and in bed by midnight....... ;)

ps.....After closer examination, the GR appears to HAVE opened up......Look at that exit wound......3 blade cut.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    565.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 25
  • archery buck 2015 ll.JPG
    archery buck 2015 ll.JPG
    839.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 136.JPG
    136.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 22
Nice job Steve!!!!!!

Mud Pigeon said:
Nice buck! Glad it didn't make it onto the wrong property.

Me too, Jeff...............I had already driven up to one of the upper properties to ask for permission......Glad he decided to head back downhill....... ;)

Congrats on the deer Steve. Arrow appears to have lot of blood on it. I had a similar experience this year first time shooting mechanicals when I picked up my arrow I had 2 of the 3 blades deploy I knew I had a good shot but didn't find any blood for 30 yards had me worried. After tracking the deer for 2 1/2 hours the deer only went 150 yards made 2 u turns on me and bleed inside the cavity so I was only finding a drop every couple feet then couple spots it spilled out in the bare dirt then lost it had me thinking I was in trouble for a little while. Ended up finding the deer and had clean 3 blade cut clean pass through right behind the shoulder im assuming the 3 Ed blade closer back up parts illy on impact of a branch after exiting the deer. Shot was only 12 yards and had lots of velocity coming out the other side. Great feeling recovering any deer sucks having that gut wrenching feeling that you possibly hit it farther back then you thought.congrats on the nice buck got another tag left to fill?
Rage 3 blade

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu