SoCal New Hunter

NateJ_33

Been backpacking and hiking for the passed few years and am looking to start getting into hunting in 2024. I recently got my license, but held off on tags thus far as the seasons look to be coming to a close. The closest access I have is D15, however everything I’ve read and listened to, suggests that it’s one of, if not the hardest unit to hunt. I was curious is anyone had any suggested units for a first time hunter? I plan on putting in for the X10 draw since I have access to roughly 500 acres of private, but seeing as the tag count is low for the area, it seems like a long shot for a first year. I also am waiting to hear about possible access to some private in A South. If that comes through, I might opt for deer, boar, and upland bird tags. Any tips anyone has for getting started or for finding scouting/hunting buddies in the OC area would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to SCH....Yes, D-15 can be tough, but guys get bucks there every year...The "16" is just a little further south and has a lot more public lands to hunt...Shotgunning the IV is more than worth the drive...Ask a lot of questions and guys will help you....Good luck

Back