SoCal X zones

GreenRawBuck

May 14, 2016
Has anyone hunted the X zones on the Eastside of the Cascades near Death Valley? I've read that there's some good sized Mule Deer Bucks there & that also there are good chances at a successful harvest. If anyone has any info over have hunted the area that would be great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think you may need to be a little more specific on where you are referrencing.

I may be wrong, but the Cascades are a mountain range in the PNW.

Are you referring to the Sierras? If so, what zone? X9C?

If X9C, that is not known as a high density deer area, but the bucks do exist and large bucks are shot in that zone.

If you can be more specific we can probably offer more help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GRB,

Welcome to SCH.....You must think of the Sierra's.....And Nick is right on about not being a high density deer area.....I think you need to get yourself some mammal regs and read them thoroughly.

Many of your questions about success ratios can be found on line as well on the DFW website.

.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi8uIK2hJXNAhVJ1mMKHVJSCw8QFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dfg.ca.gov%2Fwildlife%2Fhunting%2Fdeer%2Fpopulation.html&usg=AFQjCNHRENBxIPP8Nz12EgQugYJ8Z-pPiw&sig2=tQhxI74yCTQGlj7Pp-Xq0g

nicapopolis said:
I think you may need to be a little more specific on where you are referrencing.

If X9C, that is not known as a high density deer area, but the bucks do exist and large bucks are shot in that zone.

Your right nicapopolis it is the series in particularly X-9A, & X-7B.

GreenRawBuck said:
nicapopolis said:

Your right nicapopolis it is the series in particularly X-9A, & X-7B.

I understand the X9B correlation here, but then you mention X7B which is up by Tahoe. Those 2 zones are entirely different terrain and would be have to be hunted accordingly.

Do you have any accumulated deer points? Either way, I believe the CA deadline already passed so you would have to apply next year. Which is a good thing. I would take the next year to get all the info you can about those zones. Maybe even spend some time up there during this year's hunting seasons and talk to people.

Archery is roughly every 2 years and rifle is every 3 to 4 years in X9A and X9B. I don't remember the stats on 9C, but I think you could archery hunt it every year. The good thing about CA is that they also have the random quota so there is a chance you can draw more often.

It is no secret that the Eastern Sierras can produce good bucks. Just don't think it is a "gimme".

I would pick a few areas of interest and focus on those.

Lots of good information out there, but none of it means crap until you put boots on the ground and see it for youself.

Roger. I appreciate all the info. I'm new to the hunting game & was planning on diving in next year, right now I'm trying to get as much info as possible. I gotta check out the archery hunt I'm just getting down my rifle skills & technique. I don't think I have any points I just got my license early this year as my b-day gift. Just gotta get how it all works down. Thanks again thow much appreciated.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu