Solo hunters

Emichie

Jul 29, 2012
Ventura CA
I'm new to hunting and have been going out on my own so far. Through my unsuccessful A zone tag I didn't run into any other hunters. But this was opening weekend for D13 and I came across many groups of hunters who all seemed very surprised that I was solo. How many of you guys hunt solo?

This is my first year hunting here in Southern California and I will be hunting with a partner the whole time. I will probably continue to hunt with a partner when I can.

I enjoy hunting with a partner. Enjoying the experience with others enhances it for me.

I would like to hunt with a partner, I just don't know anyone up here to go with as of now. I always let my girlfriend, brother, and his roommates know where I'm headed just in case I don't come back. Sunday morning I hit the trail head at the top of pine mountain at 4:30 and hiked in a good 3-4 miles in. I was way out in front of any other hunters and it was kinda nice to be by myself out there.

dang bud thats pritty far for a solo hunt. i hunt alone all the time i dont like to do that buti get off work at 330 so i do a lot of after noon hunts in my stand where my whole family knows where it is. i always say if u dont hear from me by 9 pm call the fire department ...... i hunt with two other people on the weekends if there avalible

be safe

i always hunt solo. but my friends and family always know where im at. the only time i hunt with other people is when im hunting small game. every now and then i'll have a hunting partner but we always go our seperate ways. good luck

Emichie said:
I'm new to hunting and have been going out on my own so far. Through my unsuccessful A zone tag I didn't run into any other hunters. But this was opening weekend for D13 and I came across many groups of hunters who all seemed very surprised that I was solo. How many of you guys hunt solo?

On backpack hunts, always with a partner. On local hunts close to home, often times I'm solo but prefer my buddies to be with me if/ when our schedules don't conflict. We're all big boys but as it was mentioned before, always let someone know where you are going. Show them on a map and stick to what you told them!

I hardly ever hunt solo anymore since my boys are old enough to come along. I have a hunting partner that also goes along most of the time with us. Like NBK said, it enhances the experiment when hunting with others.

Bowhunter_619 said:
I hardly ever hunt solo anymore since my boys are old enough to come along. I have a hunting partner that also goes along most of the time with us. Like NBK it enhances the experiment when hunting with others.

That and they can help with the pack out!

i do both.... Sometimes after a crap day at work i will go out alone and just decompress. Other times its a group thing like this weekend when we will pheasant hunt.

I like to hunt with friends and have a deer camp etc. Its a lot of fun to share story's at the end of the day and be there to celebrate in any success. But......... most of the time I hunt solo if I want success.

I usually hunt solo,i have a group of friends i hunt with but i kinda try to do things on my my own,I feel like i dnt need them to rely on to get my first bow kill.although a buddy of mine gets upset cus i dnt like doing things HIS way so thats another reason i like hunting solo i mean dnt get me wrong hes a good hunter and has a few more yrs on me(bowhunting) but ive been hunting since i was 8 yrs old and he started when he was 16 so he "thinks" he knows everything in the book?so ill just let him be and continue to do things the way i was taught and self taught.i been in this game damn near 20 yrs and dnt need to be bossed around by a newbie.lol

i mostly hunt solo...but i make sure someone knows where i am going and when to be expected back...i also like to hunt with some buddies but they are gettin older and can not make it to some of the places i like to go...so sometimes i have to settle with an ok place that they can make it to...

Good to know there are a few people that hunt solo. I'll be the first to admit that I'm still (and will always be) learning. My buddy that went through hunters safety with me, didn't want to invest the $ and time to really go through with it. I have spent a lot of time in the back country up here (Ventura, Ojai area) but I don't have any spots yet. So all of my trips are a mix of scouting and hunting. My brother is going to join me but he is apprehensive to take hunters safety, because he already took it back in Maine. Also we can't find any lead free ammo for his rifle .35 Remington. We are having a local guy load some rounds for us, but I doubt he will make it out this year. I'm going to be out again this weekend in a new spot, wish me luck.

Emichie said:
Good to know there are a few people that hunt solo. I'll be the first to admit that I'm still (and will always be) learning. My buddy that went through hunters safety with me, didn't want to invest the $ and time to really go through with it. I have spent a lot of time in the back country up here (Ventura, Ojai area) but I don't have any spots yet. So all of my trips are a mix of scouting and hunting. My brother is going to join me but he is apprehensive to take hunters safety, because he already took it back in Maine. Also we can't find any lead free ammo for his rifle .35 Remington. We are having a local guy load some rounds for us, but I doubt he will make it out this year. I'm going to be out again this weekend in a new spot, wish me luck.

Get ahold of NBK, he might have some info on the ammo you're looking for.

I dont mind hunting alone, I just try and be a little more cautious in the field. I also write down on paper the location Im heading out to so my wife is comfortable. But I would rather be hunting with a partner for three reasons. Number 1 is safety and number 2 is to have fun with a friend and number 3 is having an extra set of eyeballs with you to help find deer. That being said if anyone in San Diego is heading out alone and wants some company let me know Im always looking to learn from some of you more seasoned San Diego vets and anyone that is new to the area Id be more than willing to look at some new areas Ive never been to.

I am with you on this. I am new to hunting and have been going out solo. I've made some trips to NorCal where I had a a partner which to me was more ideal. I will continue to scout and hunt solo until I can meet a partner.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu