Some new knives for our elk hunt

punkur67

Apr 12, 2014
I figured I didn't have enough hobbies so I decided to try my hand at putting some knives together. I wanted to put a knife together for my dad and me for our elk hunt in a couple weeks. This is his first elk elk hunt so I wanted to do something special. I still need to finish them both but they are almost done. My knife is the one with green skins and my dad's has the wood ones.

20231029_144557.jpg20231029_144645.jpg

There is no better test to see how it holds an edge!

I've switched to razor knives although I am sure this is more gratifying.

Had a few problems with my dad's build. His mosaic pins did not show up on time so I had to order some different ones. Went to put them in last night and I cracked one of the skins so I had to start the skins all over last night. I stayed up late last night and got up early this morning and was able to finish his knife. Not exactly what I was going for but I think it came out pretty nice

20231104_113011.jpg
20231104_113016.jpg

Both of them are Micarta
Got it, I thought so, back in the day when it was developed it was called phenolic resin, tough stuff inert to most things except long term uv light. You and you're Dad won't need another knife anytime soon. Congrats that's a nice build. I built a knife back in the 70's from a power hacksaw blade that Southern Pacific used to cut rails that I found laying next to a track. It was so hard that I had to use a wet stone grinder to cut and shape it. Used Manzanita wood root for the grip and embedded the blade into the grip with epoxy.

Reactions: garlicsalt and NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu