some upland help

bnr420

Aug 6, 2016
im not new but this is my first thread. ive been bird hunting for 4 years now, mostly in az along the river due to having a place there. ive got a english pointer thats a good bird dog. i do good there but in 3 years of hunting here ive seen 0 birds. ive gone to the usual dfg places and some blm land but still nothing. i know the drought has an effect but i always see success here and hear from other hunters on my end of their birds that theyve gotten here. i also understand the reluctance to tell "your spots". a little direction and guidance would be greatly appreciated from me. ive gone down to salton sea area because i have a friend who goes there with his friends but is told he cant take me or tell me exactly where. i see his birds every year of quail and of all things pheasants! ive gone down there on my own but i only know of the dfg areas. ive never seen a bird. is it all "secret" areas or is there are real open areas that arent just private? also do you need permission from owners or do you work around them? ive heard south of I8 but where exactly? i only see farmland there. again, do i need permission? any help or direction would be appreciated from me and my dog.

Az has excelant quail and dove hunting. Do spring scouting during the off season. Talk to the farm workers both sides ca & Az. Listen for birds calling. Go to web sites that have mp3 of the bird calling. Get to know their call. Buy a hand mouth caller and practice. Look for terrain that would be flat and birdie. Look for water. And areas with plenty of feed. IV had a set rule if farmers land did not have certain type of crop. It was OK to hunt. Alfalfa is OK to hunt on if it is not posted.
DISCLAIMER check all local, state and federal laws. Law change stay up to date. If land is posted No Hunting, or no traspasing it is a no go. This Saturday morning a hunter was getting written up for trespassing on posted private property. Don't wait for the last minute to scout for quail. It takes hard work to find them, and people Don't tell their spots.

I hunt the river almost exclusively for upland. There are birds everywhere. Instead of just hiking drive your truck around until
you see a covey cross the road. Sorry no spots.

Find areas where alfalfa fields backup to the desert. Drive the farm roads watching for quail darting between alfalfa and brush.I 'll give up one spot Hunt the area by the Palo Verde Dump

Find areas where alfalfa fields backup to the desert. Drive the farm roads watching for quail darting between alfalfa and brush.I 'll give up one spot Hunt the area by the Palo Verde Dump

thnx. i appreciate it a lot. is that in el centro?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu