Soo looking forward to Back-Flipping Bunnies!!!

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
Can not tell you how much I'm looking forward to the opening of Rabbit Season, and this Monday's Murderous Mayhem!

I'm expecting a repeat. Been a good amount of Bunnies out there lately!

(And also saw a Rattler too this last time out so remember to keep those eyes open people!)

Yeah it's going to be a great season indeed. Had two rattler encounters this week, note that one of them was in a bush waist height. First time I've ever seen one sitting on top of sagebrush like that. Be careful and good luck everyone

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Yeah it's going to be a great season indeed. Had two rattler encounters this week, note that one of them was in a bush waist height. First time I've ever seen one sitting on top of sagebrush like that. Be careful and good luck everyone

On TOP of the bush? Hmmph...who knew!

Reminds me of this one time I inadvertently went off trail on these switch-backs... so decided I was going to instead pioneer upward in a straight line to catch back up with the line of the trail above me.

Big mistake. It was steep... traction was such a challenge, and, I'd forgotten my boots that day (yeah, I know, this was very early in the beginning, not to be repeated) so was just in running shoes. So already my feet were quite a bit sore anyway. Had to step on the backs of little patches of the grasses to get enough traction to ascend...

Then... ugh... great...just above me at my eye-level... freakin' baby rattler sounds off!!!

I'm sittin here already dying from the exertion of trying to pioneer up this damn hill... and then this little MF'r gets in the way... so I had to stand still... on this incredibly steep hill... my calves and ankles were already burning... and from the having to stand still... OMG was starting to quiver from the strain... and that freakin' little baby rattler was too scared so he stayed still and coiled up like FOREVER!!!

Wasn't long and I'm all over here like "Goo...!!! God just Goooooo already!!!! Go on... you're fine!... no ones gonna hurt you!!" OMG... he must have taken like..I dunno 5 minutes before he finally slinked off far enough to one side that I could dare try to then continue going up. The strain on my calves and ankles and lowerback to hold like that without moving on such a steep angle was killing me!! But I didn't dare move since he was like within maybe 1 or 2 body-lengths of my face when I came upon him.

Oh yeah... and as if that wasn't enough... I swear..no lie... I get up to the other line of the trail... the younger dude I was with watched all this go down and came down a little to help me because I became so spent from standing soo long on that insane angle... we get up to the trail line.. hike a lil bit further to find a more flat looking spot in the shade (did I mention it was like 90+F still even as last light was maybe 45min away?) ... so I go to sit down and chug some water and let me body chill for a sec before proceeding, then OWWW!!! Lil Bastard Fire Ant Bites Me! In my tired state I'd unknowingly sat sorta near to where they were coming out of a hole like they do. But the hole wasn't quite in the open dirt line of the trail, so I didn't see it.

So yeah man... definitely not a good feeling seeing one at eye level with you!

Yeah I'm super excited too, I was watching a bunch of videos on how to gut a rabbit and it doesn't seem too bad!

Looking forward to it this year although, with the opener on a workday for me, I won't get out until Thurs or Fri probably. My spot has a solid increase in bunnies due to all the water, but is also super overgrown so I'll likely be shotgunning it this year. Just an excuse to take my new SBE3 on her maiden voyage.. :cool:
Ya on public open land were it's hunted a bunch, the rabbits are very skittish.. shotty works better for me...

Oh yeah... I did that last year 7-01. Cleaned 'em all with my Leatherman Skeletool. Worked super great for the task. Used the wire-cutters to snap off the forelimbs for easy peeling of the skin. Resulting in very hairless meat removal!

I will be there and ready by 5:13am. Tomorrow, Bunnies will die. Then I'll go fetch a TrailCam a lil bit of a hike away and try to do a sit for coyote and see what happens.

Figure .17 HMR for the Bunnies since it worked soo perfectly last year, then the 1894 Marlin with handloads for the coyotes. Need to kill something with this new Marlin!

Glad it's just Rabbits tomorrow, we did Soak City with the boy today, so my feet are thrashed, and skin's a bit sun burnt.

The temps are looking to be great for tomorrow though! The bunnies should be active nice and early with the warmer temps coming later!

Last edited:
Looking forward to it this year although, with the opener on a workday for me, I won't get out until Thurs or Fri probably. My spot has a solid increase in bunnies due to all the water, but is also super overgrown so I'll likely be shotgunning it this year. Just an excuse to take my new SBE3 on her maiden voyage.. :cool:

There's just something about getting a new gun it's first blood, isn't there!

Can not tell you how much I'm looking forward to the opening of Rabbit Season, and this Monday's Murderous Mayhem!

I'm expecting a repeat. Been a good amount of Bunnies out there lately!

(And also saw a Rattler too this last time out so remember to keep those eyes open people!)
View attachment 39905
Larry, always let the rabbit make the first move, then it’s self defense and not murder:)

Good luck out there.

Murder is defined as the premeditated killing of a Human. It is technically impossible to "Murder" an animal.

But whatever that non-murderous violent thing is I do...I do that to 'em.. and I do it like they owe me money.

Reactions: WaterDawg

That is the only way I ever cared to hunt them. Gives me good exercise and is a little more exciting for me.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu