Soringfest 2016 Hunt/Shoot(Pics&Video)

Crosman999

Jul 26, 2015
Ventura, CA
On Friday April 1st SteveO and I drove several hours North into the Sequoia NF where we met up with several other Airgunners.The weather was a nice cool 79degrees at 11:30am.We met Terry,Jessi,Ron and Tom along with his 10yo son Nick at our camping area where we would spend the next 3 days.The scenery was absolutely breathtaking as far as how lush and green everything was.The rolling hills were covered in flowers and waist high grass.Terry and Ron set up a beautiful target area where we spent some time sighting in our guns.Targets were set up anywhere from 25yrds out to 200yrds.After several hours of target shooting it became a bit windy,still not enough to detour us from venturing out to hunt.The area we were hunting had rolling hills with scattered Oak trees and very large rock outcroppings.I had set out across a creek where I had hunted the year before.The first thing I noticed was that the tall grass was obscuring my view from the GS holes.The only way I was able to hunt them was to find high ground as to where I could look downward over the grass.This was the way most all of us hunted throughout the trip.By this time it was late afternoon and we all met back at camp where we shared some food,drinks and some stories around the portable fire pit that Terry had brought.The next morning had brought us a beautiful day with no wind and cool temperatures.We spent most of the morning target shooting and plinking with some very nice assortments of Airguns.Ron had brought a good amount of guns,my favorite being a custom 22xx with 40fpe.He had also brought his .30 custom Rainstorm that he let a few of us shoot,first big bore Terry had ever shot.Tom had brought a .308 Slayer along with his son Nicks custom 22xx bottle fed mini beast.Jessi was using his Cricket bullpup that he was hitting bottles out to 100+yrds.Guys one of the best marksman I've ever met.Terry had brought his Tapian Mutant that proved to be super accurate and quiet,very nice looking gun as well.My choice of guns for the weekend was my regulated MK1 LD pistol carbine that proved great out to 75yrds.SteveO hunted with his trusted .25 Marauder that has taken many GS in the past years.Around 1:00pm Tom,Nick and myself headed out to hunt together and to find some long range targets for his .308 Slayer that earlier had been hitting eggs at 200yrds.Within about 20min of hiking I found several GS at 120yrds.Tom was easily able to take one of them as the others never came back out.By the end of the day we had around 20 kills between all of us,SteveO came out on top with 7 kills.The evening was met with more great food and laughs along with a brilliant night sky.The last day we had all gotten up early and headed out in different directions by ourselves.I had choosen a spot in some rocks where I had spotted several near a fallen log.Ron was several yards to my left stalking a few holes,very frustrating with the tall grass obstructing the view.What was happening was you would spot the grass moving but not be able to take a shot unless you got lucky and found a GS on a rock or poking out of a hole.Most of our kills were between 30/75yrdsNick had made his way down the hill with Tom where I was able to set him up with a pretty good shot,mind you this kid is an excellent marksman and someone I would hunt with any day.Nick had the perfect shot but unfortunately his bolt had slid open making the shot very weak making a miss.I can say I missed more than ever on this trip but enjoyed time with friends more than ever.My highlight of the trip was the epic scenery and target shooting paired with some of the best hiking I've ever encountered.I thank all who came and cant wait till next year.Enclosed are just a few of my favorite photographs I hope you all can enjoy. 8)

NOTE: Here is a short video https://youtu.be/xAbEqwcwPg4 ;D

That looks like a ton of fun, and talk about beautiful scenery! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks you guys!!
It was a very fun outing,hope to share more soon. I've been scouting some new hunting areas recently.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu