Sous Vide Boar Ham/Roast

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
I have a ton of roasts/hams from the boar we shot last weekend. Picked up a Sous Vide salted and seasoned the pork threw it in for 20 Hours at 137deg. Pulled it out tonight seared it in a hot cast iron and then gave it a little blow torch love. As @NBK says “it didn’t suck”.
I am sold on the Sous Vide it’s a game changer for wild game.

Drew.jpg

The Sous vide is money dude. You can put a piece of back strap in a bag and cook it at like 120-125 for hours, then throw it on the cast iron for a couple minutes per side and have a beautifully cooked rare piece of meat that is evenly cooked all the way through. Great tool in the kitchen. That looks damn good Drew.

Reactions: TRICER
Drew , sous vide, You have gone to another level. That is a degree of cooking that takes knowledge and skill. I agree wild game and sous vide is the way to go with lean meat as it preserves flavor along with moisture. Good on you. Please give us the formula. This will work with waterfowl as well as big game.

Reactions: TRICER
Drew , sous vide, You have gone to another level. That is a degree of cooking that takes knowledge and skill. I agree wild game and sous vide is the way to go with lean meat as it preserves flavor along with moisture. Good on you. Please give us the formula. This will work with waterfowl as well as big game.
I’ll let Drew speak for himself but in my opinion sous vide is really very easy. It’s like a slow cooker that doesn’t overcook your meat. You basically set it and forget it. For example with a piece of backstrap or any steak type piece of red meat, I put the meat in a vac bag with a few pads of butter and few sprigs of rosemary and some salt and pepper and a couple crushed garlic cloves (use whatever seasoning/herbs/flavor profile you like). Seal the vac bag and put it in the water bath. Set the sous vide in the low 120’s and walk away and do something else for a couple hrs. The magic of the sous vide is it never goes above whatever temp you set, and since it’s a water bath there is no flame or heat source you need to worry about. In 90 minutes or two hrs or so take the meat out and get a cast iron nuclear hot and quickly sear the meat on each side. Done. The thicker the piece of meat, the longer it takes the sous vide to heat it to whatever temp you set.

I just salted and seasoned with a dry rub. Put it in Vac seal bags set it and forgot it in the Sous Vide at 137. I would do beef at a lower temp like Kellen said. This was my first attempt but I am gonna start messing with it adds another level to cooking for sure. Pretty nice for meal prepping for trips etc.
planning on poaching some eggs this weekend should be fun. Like most new stuff it will get played with a lot for a while.

Just ordered a sous vide...should be here this weekend. My buddy offered me a ham off one of his boars, "warned" me it was tough. Lol Sous Vide to the rescue.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I have a ton of roasts/hams from the boar we shot last weekend. Picked up a Sous Vide salted and seasoned the pork threw it in for 20 Hours at 137deg. Pulled it out tonight seared it in a hot cast iron and then gave it a little blow torch love. As @NBK says “it didn’t suck”.
I am sold on the Sous Vide it’s a game changer for wild game.

View attachment 44689
Nice job. I took a young boar a couple of weeks ago, I’ll have to look into this. It looks great.

Well I pulled mine out last night and wanted to give it a try before it got seared on the cast iron. I was amazed at how tender / juicy the meat was. Basically added a tiny bit of salt / pepper and through it in the sous vide frozen for 24 hours @ 139. Like the two degree buffer.

We ended up eating it with no sear. Going to sear the left overs tonight to heat it up and throw it on some nachos.

F9DB6440-C0CA-47F5-A6D3-A1FD502FCCCF.jpegBCD1B9C4-9E81-4D40-A2CE-1A60A15E192A.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu