Sous Vide Elk Backstrap

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
First attempt and using my sous vide on steak. 120 for 2 hours then 1 minute sear in oil on medium heat on each side.

The first piece I cut into I had only let it rest for about 3 minutes because the kids were hungry. It wasn't as tender as I had hoped for, however the second piece I let rest for about 10 minutes and oh man that was extremely tender!

Next time I might go a tad bit higher on the temp (maybe try 125) because this was to rare for my kids. They made me put their pieces in the hot oil for a bit longer.

FC1C29C9-F524-4A6F-B48C-B60D50525237.jpeg3576C0BD-1024-45B0-9B5F-02E896D38530.jpeg821A299B-5B1F-41D4-BFFB-AB5583B5705B.jpeg

@JakeSCH Please tell us a bit more about your sous vide system.

I use an Anova, place it in a playdate cooler with the meat in a ziplock baggy(I don't have a vac sealer). I will typically use a small bar clamp or a c-clamp to hold the top of the zip lock baggy out of water as a precaution and then use plastic food wrap to cover the opening of the cooler (minimize moister loss).

It looks like a redneck solution but works. Below is a picture without the clamp.

4C309EEA-F0A9-4939-A273-24FED06B0162.jpeg

I like your "Playdate" cooler.....lol.
The elk sounds great!

I run the same Anova and use this container and lid.
Your set up is much cheaper though...
Screenshot_20200817-074935.pngScreenshot_20200817-075002.png

• Haha
Reactions: JakeSCH
The cooler is a great idea I am gonna do that also now. I just use a pot but with the insulation I bet it runs 30-40% less.

Picked up this slow cooker last month..doubles as a sous vide. I have a vacuum sealer so I just seal up the steak and drop in. You set the desired temp and walk away. Made some steaks for my mother in laws bday the other week and she hasn't stopped raving about it. I put some fresh thyme and garlic in the bag then pulled out and put on the cast iron.

Screenshot_20200817-082734_Chrome.jpg

20200807_174342.jpg

20200807_222813.jpg

I use the same with the addition of an insulating sleeve that is made for these containers. Works great and I can have beverages in my cooler at the same time!

Lol well i have like 6 coolers, got to find a way to use them all!

Reactions: BBH
Try using a Jaccard:

It helps both with tenderizing, and it helps the flavorings permeate during sous vide.

I also use this one:

because it has a removable guard. I use this one for larger cuts, like tri tip, as it gets deeper without the guard.
But, it can be a pain to put the guard back on if you're not patient.

You can also try a reverse sear with the sous vide. Take the meat to 115, let it rest for 10 min's, then sear on grill, or pan, to 125.
At 115, you can hold many steaks for hours, until guests are ready to eat, then just sear to desired temp.

For super rare, I use one of these:

but that's a bit more rare than most like it.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Try using a Jaccard:

It helps both with tenderizing, and it helps the flavorings permeate during sous vide.

I also use this one:

because it has a removable guard. I use this one for larger cuts, like tri tip, as it gets deeper without the guard.
But, it can be a pain to put the guard back on if you're not patient.

You can also try a reverse sear with the sous vide. Take the meat to 115, let it rest for 10 min's, then sear on grill, or pan, to 125.
At 115, you can hold many steaks for hours, until guests are ready to eat, then just sear to desired temp.

For super rare, I use one of these:

but that's a bit more rare than most like it.

Got one years ago...One of the best investments I've ever made.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu