Spices and seasonings

8SteelTown

Ask someone how they season their game meats, they tend to have some pretty set ways. Keep it simple is the normal go to. My buddy found this spot in Temecula that does custom mixes. If you're ever by Old Town, stop by and check out what you can create. Tried one of my quail with this mix. Very good!

SoCal Hunter said:
What place is that in old town? I live in temecula wine country.

Old Town Spice & Tea Merchants

spiceandteamerchants.com

SurfNHuntSD said:
Looks good. Bet that would make a fine brine also.

Got a couple mallards this morning. Going to age them in the fridge for a few days and try this in the brine. Trying to find that previous thread on it. Any of you fridge ager guys... Thought I remember someone saying they just put the duck in a paper bag and age it whole for like 4-5 days.

8SteelTown said:
SurfNHuntSD said:

Got a couple mallards this morning. Going to age them in the fridge for a few days and try this in the brine. Trying to find that previous thread on it. Any of you fridge ager guys... Thought I remember someone saying they just put the duck in a paper bag and age it whole for like 4-5 days.
I think there was a thread about aging venison.. not sure though. If you're familiar with Hank Shaw he had a recent post on his site about hanging pheasants and grouse to age. Might help for your mallards. I thought of trying it on quail but they always taste fine fresh. The idea of putting ungutted birds in a fridge for a week plus always seemed like russian roulette to me but a lot of people swear by it I guess.

SurfNHuntSD said:
8SteelTown said:
SurfNHuntSD said:

I think there was a thread about aging venison.. not sure though. If you're familiar with Hank Shaw he had a recent post on his site about hanging pheasants and grouse to age. Might help for your mallards. I thought of trying it on quail but they always taste fine fresh. The idea of putting ungutted birds in a fridge for a week plus always seemed like russian roulette to me but a lot of people swear by it I guess.

Thanks bud

There are a lot of articles about fridge aging birds from 1-2 weeks and quite a few about hanging them somewhere cool.

my preference with ducks is 2 weeks in a brown bag in the fridge followed by 1 year in the freezer and then throw it out and replace it with quail or pheasant...

1-2 weeks in the fridge ungutted......just cut out any green flesh that shows up from the guts it's usually around the anus which you don't eat anyways. Makes them tender, moist and a good balanced flavor not stronger.

You guys know you can make your own rubs lots of good articles on spice combinations on line look up McCormick spices

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu