Spot & Stalk bow hunting

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
That is the way I have hunted for the last few years. I don't know that it gets more difficult than that. I did really well last year even though I did not get my Buck. The stalk was successful to 40yrs but the 2 bucks either saw me or heard me, I am not sure but it was a learning experience.

I thought the deer would be out and about where I was hunting yesterday, It was wet, cloudy, and cool with some light showers. I got some elevation to be able to glass and had to wait for the fog to burn excited to see some game but I did not see much action other than a handful of Does which I would imagine is a success in itself.

Covering miles over the ridge and crossing the canyons really took a toll on me. It is not easy to get going at 5am and try to get to the spot by shooting time.

I got back to camp at around 2pm to take a cat nap and I was not looking forward to getting some elevation again so I drove further and hunted the flats in an area I had never hunted before to find no signs of deer. I really found myself out of my element and kind of at a loss down in the flats.

I remember waking up at 4am thinking I overslept because it was bright out and a friend reminded me it was a full moon. Yet, the highlight of the day was that I had never seen deer taking a crap, it was kind of funny.

Could you say with some level of certainty in your experience that the Full moon has an effect on deer behavior?

And for the ones who don't hunt from a tree stand or a blind...do you have any tips ? It seems that most of the energy I spend is getting to the glassing location.

Once up stay up? or Relocate?

Thanks.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Could just be a fluke, the spot I went to this weekend had no deer. It was the first time i've been there in 5+ years and not seen a deer.

However, it was dried out. Bad. Does that spot have water? I'm talking water before the rains.

Last weekend was a pretty full moon. It's been my understanding, when it's a full moon, deer stay awake most of the night and do what deer do, eat, shit and frolic. This makes them tired much sooner during the morning/day. I do not have personal experience other than what more knowledgeable deer hunters have told me, and the few full moons that I've hunted with very little moving around the next morning.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu