spring gobbler

prov1

Oct 17, 2011
Shot this gobbler this spring, hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
Invisible man said:
Great birds! Does he have 5, or 6 beards? Congrats on that new riffle too. Check out Kingwouldbe wacken one old school. Way to go guys.
He actually has 7 beards, the one on the far right is two stuck together, then he has a little 1/2" beard. When it was committee measured, they found the 7Th beard.

It's not only the pending new State record, it will crush the old one by about 9", truly a once in a lifetime gobbler.

I've never been into turkeys much, even though I've shot a few, Vince talked me into going with him, & I'm glade I did, it was a kicking the A$$, he is a master caller, and can really bring them in on a frozen rope

Mine was just a little 11"er........ :p

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
very cool I plan on trying to kill one this upcoming spring with my long bow

I see that this thread was moved to the Upland Bird Forum........May I suggest a Turkey Thread forum?

Wild turkeys deserve it........................lol

how does hunting turkeys work? mainly calling them in while you sit and wait or do you stalk around looking for them and then bowl em over with a shotty?

are there many wild turkeys or are they domestic turkeys gone feral??

s13tsilvia said:
how does hunting turkeys work? mainly calling them in while you sit and wait or do you stalk around looking for them and then bowl em over with a shotty?

are there many wild turkeys or are they domestic turkeys gone feral??

Our turkeys here in San Diego were transplanted from mostly Kansas in 1993 (293 birds)......All trapped wild birds....... Our birds are a sort of hybrid......Part Eastern, part Rio.

Spring hunting is mostly using locator calls. Then setting up and trying to sound like a receptive hen with various types of calls.........Fall turkey hunting is almost all spot and stock.

Shotguns, archery, and pellet guns are the means of take. With shotguns being the most efficient.

Sorry to thread jack but Sprig, you ever have any luck in the fall with calling? I haven't had much luck whatsoever with fall turkeys but was wondering how successful people are with busting up flocks and then trying to call back? Or even calling lone birds?

SurfNHuntSD said:
Sorry to thread jack but Sprig, you ever have any luck in the fall with calling? I haven't had much luck whatsoever with fall turkeys but was wondering how successful people are with busting up flocks and then trying to call back? Or even calling lone birds?

I'm around turkeys a lot and they're very vocal, even in the fall. The Kiki Run series of calls are what you hear most, when a flock is broke up.......The young turkeys do not like being separated up from their moms.......They're quite dumb and can be called in with the aggressive assembly call....... In the fall you rarely see lone turkeys of either sex.......Gobblers will be in their bachelor groups and hens will be with this years young.......By winter, our turkeys will start getting into their winter flock-ups.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu