Squirrels, birds and dogs!

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Hung out with my Dieter and Fred (Snake Charmer) today. And we had a ball!

We let Dieter work the fields for some birds. And as usual, he crushed it! Then Fred treated us with a free-for-all on his squirrels. His lower field is young and the vermin were everywhere. The .17's were wreaking havoc. In about an hour or so we had shot 20 squirrels, from 50 yards out to 200+ yards. It was a blast! I think we only missed 2-3 squirrels the entire shoot.

We giggled like little kids. What a day for the three of us!

20180312_134431.jpg 20180312_141003.jpg 20180312_161410.jpg 20180312_161401.jpg

Great day. thanks for the pics and story.
Love my .17HMR out to 200. Trying to score past that, but still haven't... yet.

Reactions: NBK
Always fun and a great time with friends. @NBK have you ever tried any of the public land prairie dogs in AZ? There are a few spots that have them but I am yet to check them out.

Out of respect for black plague and my dog I wouldn't mix the two. Can't imagine the fun it would be to be bit by a flea and end up with plague.

Out of respect for black plague and my dog I wouldn't mix the two. Can't imagine the fun it would be to be bit by a flea and end up with plague.

I don’t think he was worried about his dog getting the plague.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just hope Deiter didn’t get the bird flu. I always keep my dogs in a bubble why risk taking them outside.
It’s boubonic plauge and trust me Fred and John care more for their dogs than any sane person should.
Sorry for the crappy response but that was a silly comment unless I am misunderstanding something. I can guarantee no squirrels were being retrieved by dogs.

Reactions: Ahidog
We never expose dogs to squirrels for many reasons first and foremost it has nothing to do with what we are doing training wise. The dog was put away while the squirrels were put to rest so there was no contact. This particular field is used to train dogs because it is kept clean of foxtail that can cause other problems that can lead to life threatening issues. the squirrels tear up the field which compromises the quality of the field and allows foxtail and other invasive species to move in as well as leaving holes that can break a dogs leg if they happen to hit it wrong. They are removed after every shoot so that we leave no chance of plague if it was even possible which it is not. Where we live there are no flea's due to altitude and temperature. I rototill and plant the field every year so that we have a clean environment to train dogs in. I invite everyone's interest and questions but am disappointed when folks draw conclusions without asking about or questioning the facts of what we do in a way that helps others understand.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu