Started background check today on new rifle (update 11/25/13)

Captaintb

Sep 13, 2011
Alpine, Ca
I bought one of the new American Rifle's from Ruger, in .270. Reviews on this gun looked good, and for as cheap as it was I decided to go for it in a smaller Caliber. I've got a 30-06 and .308 so I wanted something a little smaller.
Anyone have one of these yet?

Re: Started background check today on new rifle

I was gonna ask for one for Christmas, but my pa offered to get me the Rem. 700 SF limited addition 7 mag. But I still wanna know how the American rifle shoots, let me know how It is when you get it please. Thanks!

They are an excellent rifle and the .270 is a fine cartridge. You're stoked.

I bought that exact gun at Fine Firearms. I love it! Such a pleasure to shoot, love the accutrigger.

Snake Charmer said:
Taft- the 700 you mentioned is a great rig, you might want reconsider...

Do you have it? i was wondering how it was, i have yet to talk to anyone that has it. my dad has the regular SPS in 7 and i have 2 700's in 243 and 22-250. The 700 is the one I'm going to get. Was just thinking the American rifle would be good for my girlfriend, she just started deer hunting this year with me and she's already outgrowing the .243 haha

Ruger is one of the most successful gun companies of our time. The Ruger American is a home run. A group of writers liked the guns so much they brought them to Africa. Apparently the rifles came back with rave reviews. The feedback I have personally received has been stellar.

Moral of the story is don't hesitate to own one. It's a strong, accurate, light all American made rifle backed by the absolute best warranty in the business.

Do I have an opinion? :eek:

Taft- now you must be really confused, myself endorsing both. bolt action hunting rifles are bread and butter to most hunters in the southwest. The 700 has been a reliable mainstay for many years. Ruger has ALWAYS had a presence here (as well as Winchester) The latest from Ruger continues to show how in touch they are with the public,. BTW I own a few 700's not that model though...

There is a great write up in the latest American Rifleman (for those NRA members). This year is the 50th anniversary of the model 700. It was born in 1962 and at this point is the most widely sold bolt action rifle of all time. Know for it's reliability and accuracy the 700 has been adopted by the U.S. military as well as many law enforcement agencies throughout the U.S.. It is another American rifle with a great reputation.

aint nothing tougher than a ruger. BUT!, tell me u got it at Fine Firearms? thats the only place i buy my guns. this year alone i think ive bought like 3-4, best guys in there working, and their service is great! 8)

josec said:
aint nothing tougher than a ruger. BUT!, tell me u got it at Fine Firearms? thats the only place i buy my guns. this year alone i think ive bought like 3-4, best guys in there working, and their service is great! 8)
I didn't, sorry. I got it at the lakeside gun shop, trying to keep some business in town. I was just going in for a price check and it was low enough for me to just buy it right then. This is my first transaction with them so if everything goes good I'll be stoked to have the bow shop and a gun shop just a few minutes from the house.
Haven't been in to fine firearms yet, does someone on this board own it or work there?

oh! well, then maybe next time you will swing by fine firearms. My main man John ( aka NBK ) is part of the Fine Firearms crew. go check them out. you always meet new people there. i had the pleasure of meeting snake charmer there a few months ago

NBK said:
There is a great write up in the latest American Rifleman (for those NRA members). This year is the 50th anniversary of the model 700. It was born in 1962 and at this point is the most widely sold bolt action rifle of all time. Know for it's reliability and accuracy the 700 has been adopted by the U.S. military as well as many law enforcement agencies throughout the U.S.. It is another American rifle with a great reputation.

That also goes to show you that Remington arms are a great manufacturer. When you throw the best selling shotgun(over ten million sold), in the mix. The 870 has been proven time an time again from the battlefield to the dove field. The 700 will probably follow in the 870 foot prints.

I have also hear good things about the Ruger American. Also the Savage axis series.

The Remington 870 12ga. was my first shotgun of my own when I was twelve. Had to grow into it a little bit though

You're stoked!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu