State Park Reguations

Your right. You would prob win in court but you will be harassed in the park by law enforcement and the granolla heads. Hear in San Diego your not allowed to stare at the plants for more then 30sec. for fear of making the plat nervous and giving it an inferiority complex.

If you try that I'm pretty sure you'll go home with out your bow or bang stick. I was up near Palomar state park a few weeks ago and they have a sign posted at the entrance that says no weapons and no access to hunters.

I'm pretty sure I read last year that you can not hike with one at any time but you can have it in your car as long as it is in a case.

What crazy is at one time long ago it was legal to hunt in a state park here in Cali. My grandfather took some nice bucks out of cuyamaca in the 40s. He told me about a incident in the pasopicacho campgrounds where a deer hunter got drunk in camp and shot a ranger. I'm guessing every thing stopped after that.

Hey all, first post. Lungpopper, that link you posted says:

"LOADED FIREARMS AND HUNTING are not allowed in units of the State Parks System. Possession of loaded firearms or air rifles is prohibited. Exceptions are for hunting in recreation areas that have been designated by the State Park and Recreation Commission."

I read that to mean NO, you can't carry a loaded firearm. I guess if you are traveling through the park to "areas designated by the State Park.." you have to unload.

msteiger said:
Hey all, first post. Lungpopper, that link you posted says:

"LOADED FIREARMS AND HUNTING are not allowed in units of the State Parks System. Possession of loaded firearms or air rifles is prohibited. Exceptions are for hunting in recreation areas that have been designated by the State Park and Recreation Commission."

I read that to mean NO, you can't carry a loaded firearm. I guess if you are traveling through the park to "areas designated by the State Park.." you have to unload.

I don't think that was the "gray" area he was talking about. It says what it says. What it doesn't say is whether or not ammo in your pocket is considered unloaded. That is silly considering the gun may not have ammunition in it but how many seconds would it take to load it? 3-5 seconds?

Breacher said:
I don't think that was the "gray" area he was talking about. It says what it says. What it doesn't say is whether or not ammo in your pocket is considered unloaded. That is silly considering the gun may not have ammunition in it but how many seconds would it take to load it? 3-5 seconds?

Ahhh. I see.

Legally you can traverse with an unloaded weapon. That will not stop you from getting hassled by someone less informed about the law. You should carry a copy of the code or interpretation in the event you get stopped. Understand the law in the area you intend to hunt and that includes boundary laws.

The bottom line is you should not be uncomfortable doing something legal. Just make sure you know the letter of the law while doing so.

So what's the deal can you carry a bow in a case? I thought you could. I have seen signs that say " no hunter access" but there is no penal code below and they look generic, what do you guys think? I'm tired of losing rights to what we should be able to hunt and I think we as hunters need to stand our ground!

boogie said:
So what's the deal can you carry a bow in a case? I thought you could. I have seen signs that say " no hunter access" but there is no penal code below and they look generic, what do you guys think? I'm tired of losing rights to what we should be able to hunt and I think we as hunters need to stand our ground!
About 10 years ago A buddy and I hiked through Cuyamaca State Park to check out a small piece of public and private property.(The Milk Ranch) On the way back out I asked the ranger If it was still OK to carry through the park. He said the law does allow you to carry an unloaded riffle or bow in the case, but they have had hunters stop on the way through and shoot deer. So they enforce thier own rule of no carry what so ever. And he said if you had a rifle or bow stashed on private land inside the park boundaries you could hike in and use said rifle to legally harvest game, but you should not hike it back out in light of the day, because you would piss off a lot of anti hunters. And they don't want to deal with all the complaints. But laws change every year so it may be totally illegal now.I myself don't think it is worth all the hassle, and wouldn't try it.The last thing I want is to be followed and harassed by the anti's while I'm carrying a gun.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu